Piano hinges

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinWI

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Question: What is the preferred method of installing piano hinges? edge to edge or flat on top? Also should I install before carpeting or after? My edges will be carpeted on hatches so I'm trying to figure out which is preferred. Picture examples with comments welcome. Thanks.

i hate to be that guy but.......but do a search. theres a good bit of stuff about them on here when i looked them up 2 nights ago.

some useful photos popped in the search

after my research im going vertical post carpet.

Yea but then you have the unfinished edge of carpet that I image would fray over time. I'm curious to see before I do mine. I was gonna go edge to edge over the carpet, with longer screws than supplied. I bought a 6' SS piano hinge from cables.

You thought the same as I about the frayed edge over time thought. Thought maybe someone came up w/ a solution.
I bought 5 aluminum 12 inch hinges from McMaster-Carr. Was surprisingly inexpensive. Sort of didn't realize piano hinges can be cut to size until after I got them. I'll make it work...two for the long and one for the short on the back deck. and two for the two hatches up front. didn't come with screws though...will have to see what size flat head I need to get.

I'm going to cut mine to the full size then notch one side of the hinge for the 2 doors, but not through the barrel so there is no space between hinges.
like this
hinge.jpg

Latest posts