Deep Cycle Batteries - Best bang for the buck...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badbagger

Reaction score
As the title reads " Deep Cycle Batteries - Best bang for the buck... " - I've got one battery that's about shot and the second is decent and either going to just buy one or a pair of new batteries for the trolling motor and I'll need 2 12V. In years gone by I've used Everstart @ Wallyworld and the Diehards from Sears. But, open to suggestions. I'd like to stay around $100 or less. So give up some hints lol... brands, where to buy them etc.

Thanks!

BB

I picked up a new battery from Autozone last year, so far I'm very happy with it, but I also don't live and die by my battery performance. I believe they are called Duralast, they are made by Johnson Controls (what I've been told). It's a 24 series battery, but has a higher reserve amp cap than my 27 series from BPS, think I paid somewhere around $85 out the door. I'm sure someone will chime in with some other options.

Truth be known, there aren't as many different companies that physically make lead acid batteries as you might think. My cousin worked in a battery factory for many years. They would start production of a certain size/type battery and as the finished product came down the assembly line a person would be placing the stickers on the batteries. At some point they would switch to a different set of stickers and never skip a beat. One minute the batteries would be labeled JC Penny and a few seconds later they would be labeled Sears. All the while it was the same exact battery, inside and out except for the label. So when you go shopping for a battery of a certain type and size and in the same price range, there's a better than average chance that it's going to be the same battery but being sold by a different vendor. I miss those days when he worked there because he kept me supplied with blemish batteries for next to nothing.

I've had good luck with walmart batteries, both cranking and TM, the key is to maintain 'em. WM TM batts will last ~4 yrs for me, which is not bad. I consider the up front cost, lets say $100 for one from WM, and it lasts 4 yrs, that's only $25/yr, which is less than what some spend for one day on the lake considering gas, bait, food, etc.,

I just bought a battery for my motorcycle (too many nice days I was missing) So I went to Batteries Plus and bought a maint free one. Talk about sticker shock. The reason I bought that battery other than the maint free thing isits made in the USA in PA. :D

I'll pay more to get stuff made in the USA when I can.

As others have said, there is not much difference on the lower end batteries--it is going to be proper maintenance that keeps them serviceable for more then just a season or two. Always use a slow trickle charge (the slower the better), and one that has an auto shut off once the battery is fully charged.

Thanks for the replies. Further research on my end shows the batteries at O'reilly's Auto Parts and Sam's Club are made by Deka/East Penn.
Same as West Marine batteries are but half the price.

JasonLester said:
I just bought a battery for my motorcycle (too many nice days I was missing) So I went to Batteries Plus and bought a maint free one. Talk about sticker shock. The reason I bought that battery other than the maint free thing isits made in the USA in PA. :D

I'll pay more to get stuff made in the USA when I can.
I know what you mean about the sticker shock. I have to pay about the same price for my bike battery as I do for my truck battery. And the battery on my bike just turned 4 yrs old, so it is living on borrowed time now. :(

My battery was 95 but it was a maint free battery. I probably should have doublechecked walmart. I thought I saw that battery wasn't made in the USA so I went for it...I know my bike likes it. Seems to run better.