Newbie here!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdover73

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was referred here by one of your members. I can't believe there is a site dedicated solely to tin boats! I just bought a 2008 Lowe Stinger 170 with Merc 60 4-stroke. I had a heck of a time deciding on the purchase, but after three trips out in the first three days of owning it, I am very pleased. I bought tin because I wasn't ready for the big jump to glass, much less the note that comes with it. I wanted a practical boat that would last a lifetime but at the same time offer the same features a glass boat would. The Lowe is wider than all the other boats I looked at and the price was very pleasing. I could have went with a 75 Opti, but I was told by the dealer that the ones they have equipped with the heavier 75 porpoised a lot, and only had about 2-3 mph over the 60 top end. After the motor upgrade I ended up with a little over $17 out of pocket. I wasn't looking for speed anyway. I have gotten 40mph (speedo, not GPS) with two people and full fuel, livewell, tackle, ice chest, etc. That's plenty fast enough for me!
I look forward to sharing experiences and obtaining advice from all of you here.

cdover73

Welcome. Lowes are a good boat. I went with a Tracker and decided not to max out on HP either. I can hit 46 MPH GPS with mine with the 90. Couldn't see dropping another $7,000 for 6MPH on the 135. Make sure you post some pix for us gander at. Where are you located?

Also, correction on my first post. I said $17 out of pocket on the upgrade, I meant $17,000! The upgrade was about $2100. Small mistake...my bad... :wink:

Jim,

I got a couple answers for you! There's not a lot of info on the specifics, even on Lowe's web page.

1. The bilge pump is manual with a 500 gph pump. I think I may upgrade to a larger pump, maybe an 800 or 1000.

2. The livewell has a manual/auto timer for circulation and pump in or it will fill to water level automatically by pulling the plug, but does not have a pump out function. I am hoping to find an easy remedy for adding that. I can keep water out by installing the plug and I can drain it by removing the plug and running on plane, but not completely.
3. I don't currently have any rods over 7', so I can't answer that yet. However, I can say that when putting the rods in the box it is a pain sometimes to get the tips situated just right to fit. It feels like there is more room but not much.

Hope this answers your questions. Let me know if you have more.

Thanks,

cdover73

cdover73 said:
Jim,

I got a couple answers for you! There's not a lot of info on the specifics, even on Lowe's web page.

1. The bilge pump is manual with a 500 gph pump. I think I may upgrade to a larger pump, maybe an 800 or 1000.

2. The livewell has a manual/auto timer for circulation and pump in or it will fill to water level automatically by pulling the plug, but does not have a pump out function. I am hoping to find an easy remedy for adding that. I can keep water out by installing the plug and I can drain it by removing the plug and running on plane, but not completely.
3. I don't currently have any rods over 7', so I can't answer that yet. However, I can say that when putting the rods in the box it is a pain sometimes to get the tips situated just right to fit. It feels like there is more room but not much.

Hope this answers your questions. Let me know if you have more.

Thanks,

cdover73

Yes it does! Thanks.

For the rod locker.....Get some of those cheapie $4 bass pro rod covers and they slide in and out with no problem.

Latest posts