Boat Weight !!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnT

Reaction score
Does the weight of a boat make a lot of difference on how well it travels through the water . Like will a heavy boat perform as well as a lite boat of the same size with same size motor ? Any thoughts . Just asking a question !

Well as far as stability a heavier boat will be better in bigger water and will handle a higher powered motor, but your limited on where you can go with it, a smaller boat with get you in tighter places and you can float in alot shallower water but your limited on how much you can safely haul and how far out you can go with it, sometimes if you can find the right combination between the boat size and horse power you can have you self a nice fast little fishing boat that is stable in all aspects. As far as how it tracks in the water that all depends on how much power is behind it and how much of a load you have in it, if i remember correctly the coast guard has a way to calculate the hp ratings vs the size of your boat and you have to take all that into consideration before you can decide which will track better in the water over all..

Just my opinion

The heavy boat would be slower,but ride smoother. The exception to ride would be if the heavy boat can't get "on top" the waves,and plows through them vs. skimming the tops. Weight makes a lot of difference in speed.

Well, my 12 footer pounds a lot less on plane with the extra weight I've added to it. Probably lost a couple knots or so with the weight. The weight added because of the decks and whatnot also increases my pleasure and comfort when using the boat.

Which makes me want to use it more.

Seems to me it's ultimately dependent on the vessel size, type an characteristics from the get go...

Thank You For the reply . The reason I was asking, is you see a tin bass boat that say they weight in at say 700lbs and the same size and same length weighting in far less like almost 300lbs lighter , How could this be possible ? I know one company may add a few more pounds on a different stuff being in the boat , but 400lbs . Wow what I'm I missing ? I know a lighter boat will go faster and get into more shallow places with less motor and cheaper to operate . I guess my question is there differnet ways of weighting a boat company to company ?
I understand that the coast guard set the horsepower rating in accordance to the size and weight of boat .I don't understand how they could be so different .Could anybody shed any light on this ?

Are you looking at dry hull weights,or are some of them package weight (with motor). The gauge of aluminum can make a difference,as well as more livewells,and storage compartments. It all adds up. Is it wired for a trolling motor? Just those cables can weight 10 lbs. Length,width of beam,strength of transom,and how well it handles at full weight capacity help determine the HP rating.

I've seen some crazy light weight bassboats,with huge HP. They supposedly are built to handle it. Some manufactures will lower the weight capacity,so they can up the HP. Or, vise-versa...Manufactures seem to have some room to play with capacities,but as far as I know they weigh their hulls the same.

Yeah dry hulls , I'll give you an example , Three boats with the same layout (live well, trolling , same size , ) Fisher , Grumman, an Sea Nymph . comes in at 300 lbs different between the three . Pretty much the same deck and seat lay-out and side console . And Fisher comes in at 700lbs and the sea nymph coming as the lightest . Hows it possible ? I have looked them up on I boats , and NADA, they both have same weights and beam size .
The reason I'm trying to find a good boat that I can run a 9.9 for smaller lakes then pull it off and throw at least 30hp to 40hp to run the river and some of the larger lakes in the areas . And I know if you plan on getting a boat up on plane with a 9.9 it better be some where in the 400lb range .Minus fishing equipment , and passenger & motor .