covering riveted patch?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnwkr

Reaction score
My SC alaskan had a few small holes in the bottom from corrosion. I was unable to get to these spots from the inside so I followed the advice I'd read here in the forums. I cut a patch out of aluminum sheet and riveted it on there with blind rivets and 5200 to seal it all up.
I've had the boat out and no leaks! Should I leave it at that or do you all think it needs another layer of protection? I was thinking smear some gluvit over these patches just to keep it all legit.
The boat is too big to flip so I'd be working under it and need something that wont sag. I wouldn't plan on coating the whole bottom at this point, just cover the patches.
Any advice, suggestions, personal experience welcome.

Here's a pic so you all can get an idea of what I'm talking about..
6825039029_52952e332f_z.jpg

6824848607_bd72dd2355_z.jpg

I would go around the seam with some black firm seam sealer the stuff hardens really good and is 100% water proof and you can paint over it also, i put a very thin layer of it running down the entire length of each of my fin seams that run down the bottom of my boat, and i have 0 leaks and i even put bedliner over it and it stuck to it prefectly.

Its also called black window weld for automotive windshields.

Latest posts