contact cement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumpnoker

Reaction score
I am redoing my decks and carpet and i had planned on using the DAPS original contact cement. thought i would do a lil trial run and try it out on a couple of my lids. two of the lids are made of plastic and all the others are aluminum. decided to start with the plastic ones, but it didnt have any adhesion at all after an hour and everywhere i read says it should have a good bond after only a few min. maybe im missing something but i followed the directions on the can and nothing happened. Does the temp have anything to do with it not adhereing. I have the decks, lids, and floor to carpet and dont wanna waste my time doing something wrong or do i just need to get some carpet glue, thanks for the help.

Contact cement is funky stuff to work with but really works well if you do it right.

Apply an even coat to both surfaces and allow them to dry completely. THEN you stick them together. If you stick it together wet, you can pull it right back apart.

Of course surface prep has everything to do with any adhesive and if it works or not. Surfaces must be clean, dry and with no grease or oil residue.

The easiest way to remove extra is to make a puddle of it, let it dry, peel it up and wad it into a ball. Then rub the ball over any that you want to remove and it will pull it off.

How did you apply it?

I love contact cement, don't buy the water based stuff, buy the nasty stuff that will kill you if you breath the fumes.

Temperature does matter, also you may experience condensation in cooler weather which will form a layer of water also preventing the bonding. Just dry it off with a hair dryer, the heat will also make it stick better. If you are gluing carpet, it soaks up the stuff and you may need to put extra on the carpet as well.

Mineral spirits works well for clean up, it doesn't dissolve the cement but makes it not sticky, It will take a little rubbing and you need to be generous with the spirits.

I just applied a thick layer to the lid and let it dry for 15 min just to see its effects. Its been raining down here but has stopped for a few days and moisture is in the air so i figured the water might have had something to do with it. I will apply a layer to the lid and the carpet and let them both dry and then just stick them together and they should stick? I will also try the hair dryer. Thanks for the help guys!

Once you have it prepped properly and applied the cement to both surfaces...and....let them both dry to the touch...they will stick like there is no tomorrow.

One trick is to use a big piece of wrapping paper. Lay it on top of the the bottom surface. Place the carpet on top of the paper. Get everything aligned and ...slowly...slide the wrapping paper out...keeping everything aligned as you go.

Practice on a scrap piece first.

Put it in the wrong place and you will not get it off without destroying something.
regards R

Thanks for the help guys, that stuff really sticks. The wrapping paper really helped with keeping it straight. I still have a long way to go but will be back on the water soon.i love this site and all the info, has helped me tons. Thanks, again

Latest posts