Here's one you probly never heard before...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRichardson

Reaction score
So I've got a rough template for the forward casting deck in my semi v. As someone recently pointed out the edges of the deck should ideally be angled slightly outwards from bottom to top to sit flush against the side of the boat... however it's not as simple as setting the saw at an angle as the slope changes drastically along the sides of the deck as you move toward the front.

One solution is to cut the whole thing at the most extreme angle, so any gaps would be on the bottom side of the deck (we're talking so close to the hull that it would never really bear any weight).

The second brilliant idea that I had would be to line the edges of the inside hull with nonstick paper and fill that small gap with epoxy. At the most, I'd say the gap is 3/16 of an inch at its widest. So really it's just a slightly thicker coat along the edges (and angled/form-fitted). I'm coating the whole thing with epoxy resin anyway.

Those of you with far more experience please tell me why this would not work!

bcbouy said:
most guys carpet the deck,so it doesn't need to be tight to the sides,so theres room for the carpet.

x2! Or you could always go get a block of foam from a hobby store. Cut it to the exact angle(s) of the boat and then use it to draw onto your wood. Then use a jig saw to make the exact cut!

Jeff

Interesting...I intend to tuff coat or durabak the deck, so my gap is a little bigger than if I carpeted. Gives me a lot less wiggle room with regard to tolerance. I like the foam template idea. And the sealant would look great painted over....as long as it doesn't separate or crank down the road. Thanks for the ideas and input!

Latest posts