3M 5200 or Gluvit for aluminum boat seams?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingDarius

Reaction score
Ive been researching all around and it seems like both would work, but it seems like the Gluvit will actually penetrate INTO the seam where as the 5200 would just stay as a surface seal.

Can anyone confirm please?

5200 can get in there with the help of gravity, It's half liquid and has been known to run. Use both, 5200 is cheap compared to the other. I'd coat/seal/coat again where 5200 was applied. Then beach the boat and take pics. Pref you can do this where there are bikini clad women. Did I mention pics? Make sure you tighten your rivets before you start. Also look at steel flex, similar in price. If you are doing a budget fix just 5200 should be fine. To check your work, Fill the boat with water while on the trailer and look for leaks if possible.

Thanks sixgun! I think Im going to go with the Gluvit only because I can brush in on. I have alot of area to cover and I need it to be workable...

Ill post results. Ordering the Gluvit now!

I hear a few folks around here repeating that a bit...and while it is an adhesive it does behave perfectly as a sealant as well.

It's listed as an adhesive & sealant by 3m. Since I've only used is as a sealant and had great results I recommend it to others. I do plan on using it as an adhesive when I go to mount my transducer, we'll see if it hangs on [-o<

Yeah I hardly would compare it to using a butter knife as a screwdriver.

It is an adhesive as well as a sealant just like Six stated, otherwise they wouldn't market it for below water line fittings.

It's more like a spork fork/spoon than a butter knife/screwdriver.

Is the product named 5200 Adhesive Sealant or 5200 Sealant Adhesive? Again...it is more of an adhesive than it is a sealant. Did I say it couldn't be used as a sealant???? :roll:

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Is the product named 5200 Adhesive Sealant or 5200 Sealant Adhesive? Again...it is more of an adhesive than it is a sealant. Did I say it couldn't be used as a sealant???? :roll:

[-X All the boat manufacturers must be using it as a SEALANT for some reason.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Name one that uses it as a sealant and not a waterproof adhesive.

It is sort of the spork of adhesives. :D

Hurricane, Bennington, Polarkraft, Hydrasports, Mako, Nitro, Tracker, Ranger, Triton, Bass Cat, Lund, Alumacraft, Big O boats, Sterling, Crestliner, Boston Whaler, Cobalt, Nautic Star, Four Winns, Rinker, South Bay, Lowe, Cobia

Do you want more??? #-o

Source? Me. I've personally assembled thousands of things using 5200 to seal, for a boat company, that Sea Fox bought out, and I have personally worked on a dozen different boats using it. And have deconstructed probably 1/2 dozen-same story.

Thru hull fittings are usually always sealed with 5200. Not used as an adhesive. The thru-hull's are secured with a nut. There is no use for an adhesive.

Some of the higher end sport/deck boat companies use it on ANY hole drilled thru fiberglass, even above the water line.

Anytime a thru-hull exhuast is installed, it is sealed with 5200. Same deal. Things are thru bolted thru the side, or transom, and SEALED with 5200.

Around bolts for swim platforms, drain plugs, livewell pumps, freshwater intakes for A/C, thru-hull transducers, the list goes on and on.

Ah...the anecdotal proof. Cornerstone of any debate.

Page 4: https://www.bwcv.es/assets/2011/1/13/Construction_-_Adhesive___Sealants.pdf

Do you seal anything with 5200 that you may need to remove later? No. You have, for the most part, permantly BONDED the parts together with an adhesive that is waterproof and functions as a defacto seal.

The only conclusion I draw from that link is that 5200 is indeed a sealer.. That is what you were pointing out right.

Re-reading one of your posts I see that you seemed to think I was saying that they use 5200 to seal the seams in the boats themselves.
No, I was simply saying that it is used as a sealant by virtually ALL boat manufacturers.

whoops! Seems I ignited a firestorm...

I think I am going to do the following:

1. Use Gluvit on my seems and existing rivets. It's brush applied so I can work it quicker and put it exactly where I need it. Plus I need to cover a large area.

2. For any new rivets, I will use 5200 to seal it up as I put it in, then possibly Gluvit over that. I can also use the 5200 as spot sealant. I might even use this to install my bottom bracing to the hull.

Thanks everyone for their responses.

KingDarius said:
whoops! Seems I ignited a firestorm...

I think I am going to do the following:

1. Use Gluvit on my seems and existing rivets. It's brush applied so I can work it quicker and put it exactly where I need it. Plus I need to cover a large area.

2. For any new rivets, I will use 5200 to seal it up as I put it in, then possibly Gluvit over that. I can also use the 5200 as spot sealant. I might even use this to install my bottom bracing to the hull.

Thanks everyone for their responses.

I wasn't trying to argue. Just correcting.

FWIW I would do the same if I were you. Gluvit, and 5200 spot holes for rivets etc.
That is what I did on my project.

Think I'm in agreement w/ River Bottom on this one. I see what you are saying Lon, but it looks like they use it to seal up an opening in conjunction with another item (fitting), not as use as an actual sealent by itself.

Latest posts