Bilge Pump Outlet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojo^

Reaction score
Has anyone installed the outlet for their bilge pump by means other than cutting a hole in the hull? I'm thinking that a drain hose similar to that on a washing machine or PVC hooked over the transom would work just fine. Not pretty, but functional. Thoughts and or pics would be appreciated.

Of course that would work, no big deal at all, just wouldn't be as neat and tidy as a thru hull mount. You could always go for the thru hull mount later although that one hole way high near the transom can't hurt in any way.

I ran the outlet hose over the transom. Your right, it isnt pretty, but it works. I like that I can easily see the pump output from my seat then switch it off when it stops shooting water out. -Tom.
bildgedrain-1.jpg

You could route it with PVC. You can get any shape or direction you want and you can even hook it over the transom to shoot the water out downward. Just keep in mind every bend is going to decrease the flow rate of the pump. I could picture being a clean install. What's the opposition to thru hull?

Here's mine:
IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

Jay415 said:
What's the opposition to thru hull?

I have floatation cells on both sides of the bilge area between the rear bench seat and the transom. I can't go through them and don't want a hose laying on top. I also don't want to cut a hole in the Steelflex I put on last Fall if I don't have to.

I have mine run up an over the transom.I ran a short piece of hose,than a 90 barbed fitting to go up to another piece of hose to the top of the transom than another 90.I used a plastic PVC clamp to hold the hose.I have a very large bilge pump so I don't care if the GPH is a little less.

Mojo^ said:
Jay415 said:
What's the opposition to thru hull?

I have floatation cells on both sides of the bilge area between the rear bench seat and the transom. I can't go through them and don't want a hose laying on top. I also don't want to cut a hole in the Steelflex I put on last Fall if I don't have to.
Gotcha, you could use tubing from the bilge to an aquarium "U" tube hung over the transom.
you can find them in different thicknesses. If not you could use a larger one and route the tubing through the "U" and just use the "U" to hang the tubing on the transom.

https://www.aquasythe.com/Products/Overflow-U-Tube-15__OF-ES-19000.aspx
EshoppsUtube1.jpg

i have maybe 6" of tube showing over my bench,the rest tucks under the corner brace and out the thru hull fitting

Attachments

• IMG_2479.jpg
    IMG_2479.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,422
  • IMG_2468.jpg
    IMG_2468.jpg
    920.8 KB · Views: 1,420
Nice to see so many picture examples popping onto this thread! I love when we can consolidate topics into many pictorial examples like this. :D

I didn't see anyone mention that the longer the hose, and the more bends will create more water that doesn't get pumped out,and runs back to the pump, and then back into the bilge.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
I think in the end, you would be more satisfied with a thru-hull fitting above the water line than a hose running over the transom or side.

+1. Nothing to the install, not much more expensive, much cleaner install, and less water in the boat.

Baitcaster, I was going to try a set-up like yours but my floatation cells are too tall. They are flush with the rear bench set and the two bolts for the handle that extends through your transom on each side of the red data plate in your picture actually goes through the upper rear flange of my floatation cells. I don't have much room to work with between the upper surface of the cells and the gunwale.

LonLB said:
I didn't see anyone mention that the longer the hose, and the more bends will create more water that doesn't get pumped out,and runs back to the pump, and then back into the bilge.
i have very little water that isn't pumped out,so if the plug is pulled on the ramp,the rest drains out,or i use the wet/dry vac when i get it home.

For those of you with the thru hull, I'm surprised you have not put a loop prior to thru hull fitting. It stops water coming in the thru hull fitting.

bcbouy said:
i have very little water that isn't pumped out,so if the plug is pulled on the ramp,the rest drains out,or i use the wet/dry vac when i get it home.
You can pull the plug out after you get planed out and it will suck the water out better than any vacuum. Of course you don't want to let off the gas before you replace the plug. :lol:

steam_mill said:
For those of you with the thru hull, I'm surprised you have not put a loop prior to thru hull fitting. It stops water coming in the thru hull fitting.

If I get water coming back through the hull fitting it doesn't matter as the boat is already swamped. It's higher on the hull than the step down on the transom.

I would hope others plan it that way also?

JMichael said:
bcbouy said:
You can pull the plug out after you get planed out and it will suck the water out better than any vacuum. Of course you don't want to let off the gas before you replace the plug. :lol:
lol: theres no way i'm pulling the plug wot to drain a few oz"s of water.not even for a few gallons.thats why the bilge pump :D my boat is brand new and dont leak.just minor splash over or rain.

Latest posts