Plastic Lumber

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonLester

Reaction score
Anyoen use this in your boat. It would seem to be a nice way to do things. Although it would be a little pricey. I found online a deck board (1"x6"x12') at Lowes for 29 bucks. I could do alot with that and my tablesaw. I have yet to go take a look at it though. I'm probably not decking my boat but I was thinking of adding some things I could use a flat surface for or something to clamp to etc.

Does this stuff hold up like it should?

https://www.lowes.com/pd_163807-632...p_product_quantity_sold|1&facetInfo=$25 - $50

I've built a number of decks for homeowners that inquired about using synthetic flooring. I gave them my personal opinion on the stuff as used for decks and sent them to speak with homeowners that actually had this or similar products on their decks for several years. I've yet to build a deck using synthetic boards because all of them have decided against the stuff after hearing reports from other owners. Most common complaints I hear are "fades" "gets hot" "expensive compared to wood" "requires expensive special fasteners".

The upside is it doesn't rot, but the above post is correct about everything he said...in addition to that it doesn't have the same strength as dimensional lumber so I would never consider using it for anything structural at all..you can snap it with your hands.

Theres alot of piers down south that use the plasti wood the stuff is really nice to walk on but gets pretty hot and fades like crazy as mentioned earlier, from what iv seen there is a big difference in the weight the plastic is a good bit heavier, but pretty much should last as long as your boat does if not longer but make sure to use approved fasteners and predrill.

I wasn't thinking of using it for decking or framing...mor like something to mount stuff too. I thought maybe I could use it and not have to worry about coating the wood or it cracking and warping. Fading is ok as its just natural color I was thinking of. Heat wouldn't be much of an issue I don't think. I guess it just depends on what I am doing with it. I looked at some aluminumangle tonigh that may work too.. I'll probably go that route if the cost is similar.

I used it for my trailer bunks and (so far) have no complaints whatsoever. I read in a lot of places that many people think the plastic wood has too much flex in it. I used the 2x6 dimension and put an extra support bracket in the middle of each board. Glued carpet to the bunks and IMO it came out great. I know that the carpet will wear out long before my bunks ever start rotting. Pics are in my thread below.

lbursell said:
I used it for my trailer bunks and (so far) have no complaints whatsoever. I read in a lot of places that many people think the plastic wood has too much flex in it. I used the 2x6 dimension and put an extra support bracket in the middle of each board. Glued carpet to the bunks and IMO it came out great. I know that the carpet will wear out long before my bunks ever start rotting. Pics are in my thread below.

Thanks for the link...nice job on your project. I never though tof doing the bunks...That may work and I like that you used the 2x6 stuff.....hmm now you got me thinking. I have 2x4s already though....guess I will decide when I tear it down.

Lots of right-on comments already above. It does NOT have the lateral strength of a
similar sized wood board. Extra bracing is necessary.

Read a quote once in a REAL wood magazine....it said..

"If God hadn't already created trees and wood, we would have to create something
like it ourselves." .........What a wonderful material.......

R

I totaly agree. I love real wood. I build bows out of Osage orange. All one piece of wood and all done by hand.. I love real wood furniture as well. Built some way back when (I would now but don't have the room)

Like I said I haven't actually looked at the stuff yet and if I am only clamping rod holders and such to it I just thought it may work out.

JasonLester said:
I totaly agree. I love real wood. I build bows out of Osage orange. All one piece of wood and all done by hand.. I love real wood furniture as well. Built some way back when (I would now but don't have the room)

Like I said I haven't actually looked at the stuff yet and if I am only clamping rod holders and such to it I just thought it may work out.
I've also done some furniture pieces over the years. I've used Osage orange on some inlay projects, but I never would have guessed that it would be a good material for making bows. Out of curiosity, were they long bows?

Mine are around 62 to 65" I have seen longer and shorter made. Osage has been used to make bows for centuries. Its been called Bodarc. I believe some other language for "bow wood" sorry I forget the language. The problem is finding a piece straight enough to make a bow out of or straigtening a piece.

I have some pics somewhere...but its hard to take a pic of a bow..to long and skinny.

...found these...when I first build it. 70 lbs draw weight.

bow1.jpg

Attachments

• bow2.jpg
    bow2.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 906
JasonLester said:
Mine are around 62 to 65" I have seen longer and shorter made. Osage has been used to make bows for centuries. Its been called Bodarc. I believe some other language for "bow wood" sorry I forget the language.

Wow, beautiful work.

Here, in north Texas, we spell it "bois d'arc". French for "wood of the bow". It's an extremely hard wood that weathers forever. Ranchers used to use it for fence posts. I remember hearing that early settlers would use it for grave markers (think headstones).

yep thats another name I couldn't think of...

I have heard they have to turn the osage upside down to use it as a fence post or it will start growing again.

I knew of a guy that took a couple fence posts and spliced them together to make a bow...it was twisted and crazy. You wouldnt think it could be done. Many more twists than mine has but the guy was amazing and did an awesome job. I may see if I can find a pic...it was years ago.

Well I learned something there. When I lived in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, I was out cutting some firewood one day and ran into a piece of what others later told me was Bodarc. It was the hardest thing I've ever cut with a chain saw. I had to sharpen my saw several times just to make a few cuts through a 4" diameter piece. And when cut, the sawdust/raw wood looked like you dipped it in yellow paint. I'm talking about a bright canary yellow. I never equated this to the Osage Orange that I used in woodworking mainly because this stuff was yellow and Osage Orange was orange. I can only guess that as it's dried/cured it turns to more of an orange color. Bodarc has a long history and has been useful in many different applications, but I can now say that it has ever more applications like bows, knife handles, inlay, etc etc.

BTW If you ever try to burn green/wet Bodarc in your fireplace, you'll find out it doesn't burn very well. If you keep it sitting on top of a few burning oak logs, and poke it once in a while, a mass of very tiny sparks shoot out of the fireplace a few feet then go out. It's actually entertaining as it produces some colorful flames and the sparks.

Yeah the stuff is very yellow at first. Sunlight changes the color over time and I have seen bows nearly black do to the sun. Its very strange. If anyone gould figure out how to stop that I am thinking they would make some money.

I believe they actually used to boil the wood chips to dye stuff yellow.

BTW the sap is some nasty sticky stuff. Its like water at first but seems to never come off.

Latest posts