Best Thread for painting my aluminium boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
searching for a thread that explains a step by step process for a complete beginner on how to paint an aluminum jon boat. including prep, what type of paint, cost, and application process. Also maybe a finished product. I know I'm asking a lot but I want to get a full scope on the project before jumping into it.

I think you will find many different opinions on that. Much of it is based on the fact that some guys have a larger budget and will use more expensive products that while they are good aren't necessary for a decent paint job.

There are all kinds of us that have painted aluminum and probably 20 different methods and as many different products used. ;)

Ole'Sailor said:
searching for a thread that explains a step by step process for a complete beginner on how to paint an aluminum jon boat. including prep, what type of paint, cost, and application process. Also maybe a finished product. I know I'm asking a lot but I want to get a full scope on the project before jumping into it.

Hopefully by going through the link I posted of the mods, you'll see the various options. Like mentioned, there are several ways of doing it. I don't know of just one way that would apply for everyone. Prep could be to remove all the existing paint, or to simply scuff your existing paint job, or a combination of both. Most important is that your base layer has something to grip to. Some of the more popular options to remove paint are with chemical (aircraft stripper) or a cup brush/sanding disk attached to a drill/angle grinder. Several thin light coats will do better than 1 heavy. If you're going for a showroom/high gloss finish, I'd plan to use a sprayer and to wet sand each coat before applying the next, although I've seen some paint jobs that were done by tip and brush that look great too.

Some of the more popular boat paints are:
Rustoleum (Marine)
Interlux
Petit
Parkers Duck Paint (matte finishes)

These paints should all have some type of anti-fouling additive and be safe for underwater use, but I've seen automotive paints used, farm/tractor implement paint, and rattle can rustoleum... all with success. That said, cost can vary greatly. Make sure to read the cans before you buy, and you'll get an idea of the prep/application methods that each company suggests.

I guess it depends on if you are going on bare aluminum.

Call me crazy but I was going to strip mine down, clean it and sand and etch prime and marine paint and on and on and on.

I traded for an aluminum boat with a camo finish.
Well I happened across a guy that refinishes a lot of boats and he told me as long as it is not leaking, clen the dang thing with 50/50 bleach and water and go down to home depot and get a valspar latex paint for porch and patios and paint the dang thing.

I did prime it with some automotive primer though.

He told me it is his opinion that people put to much into painting the bottom of the boat. He said it is gonna get scratched and stuff no matter how you finish it.

I would usually be skeptical about advice like this but I have talked to people he has done work for and seen his work. After doing so I decided to follow his advice.

I am on fresh water though so that may make a difference.

Just my 2 cents

I painted a 10' jon with regular primer ( light gray ) five years ago. I sold the boat last year to a fellow at work and the paint is still holding up fine. It has sat out with no cover all these years. That paint job cost about $20 and the prep was just a wash down.
The 18' deep v i'm working on now has way more prep and the cost of paint was over $100. Still cheap when it comes to paint.

Latest posts