boat modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caddyjosh

Reaction score
Just bought a 1980 14 ft john boat and am in the process of adding store. The question I have is ccan I rattle can the inside of the boat or should I use special paint?

:WELCOME:
Thanks for joining! :D

For the inside of the boat, Are you going to leave it or are you planning on maybe adding a floor and carpet? Do you have any pictures?

Jim

I already started rattling that can I will post pics over the weekend I have paint the inside flat black and put wood on the benches I stained the wood looks nice but what should I put on it to protect the wood? I will post some pics this weekend I tryed today but it said they were too big?

Attachments

• 100_0020.jpg
    100_0020.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 2,614
Jim I am probably going to put a floor does it make a big difference in stability? I am a big guy and find it hard to walk from back to fromt if needed.

caddyjosh said:
Jim I am probably going to put a floor does it make a big difference in stability? I am a big guy and find it hard to walk from back to fromt if needed.

Yes In my opinion. A flat surface does wonders on the water!

...I stained the wood looks nice but what should I put on it to protect the wood?

You can protect the stained wood with a couple of good coats of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane. Be sure and coat the end grain of the wood also. The urethane will make the wood real slick when wet so be careful if walking/steping on it. I always get nice results from polyurethane if only brushing in one direction. If you brush back and forth like regular paint you can sometimes cause small bubbles in it. Let dry throughly between coats.

I am making progress still want to add a little more storage and maybe a floor

Attachments

• Web boat 019.jpg
    Web boat 019.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 2,585
  • Web boat 022.jpg
    Web boat 022.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,591
  • Web boat 020.jpg
    Web boat 020.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 2,596
What is your intentions with the extra plywood hanging over the back? Putting new plywood on my seats like that too right now, but just cut it exact measurement of the bench.

What is supporting the back piece of plywood that extends from the seat toward the transom?
Welcome Aboard! :WELCOME:

CJ, first off let me rec. that you not paint the inside flat black unles you are going to completly cover it. Secound, when adding a floor your overall stability is not affected much, unless you rise it up allot which changes the center of gravity. Your boat is made to order when it comes to putting in a floor, just lay the plywood over the ribs and secure at the base of the seats, waalaa, comfort walking. :D Best of luck with your project. Your boat has allot of potential.

Latest posts