Sea Nymph transom question...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonLester

Reaction score
Ok my Sea Nymph is in great shape...other than the boards on the transom. The original did not go all the way across like some I have seen. It was actually more of a pad for the outboard. However it was mostly gone when I got the boat. I did see that there where two peices (stacked) on the outside and one on the inside. I have the shape of these but have no clue what thickness it is. I have a piece of 3/4 ply I had planned on using to redo this. But all stacked up that seems very thick. Maybe it was 1/2 inch stuff..? Do you think 3/4 inside and out would be enough without the extra outside piece... Its not like they attach to anything other than that small space. Seems like there is no real strength in that just space for the motor.

Boat is rated to 12 hp and I am going to run a '72 9.8 Merc...

Am I way off in my thinking.....(well more than normal LOL)

IMO the thicker and the larger amount of area covered would be best. Measure your midsection's transom mount to see what you could fit before you build. A 10hp wouldn't require something incredibly solid to begin. Having a piece on the outside of the boat helps with impressions in the metal or from scratching the paint but isn't really necessary if the inside support is deeper than the lowest point of contact. I would be more focused on creating a larger in length/width to provide more stability from flex. Width wise Two 3/4's should be ideal. Some fella's sometimes sandwich them using marine sealant, fiberglass resin, etc.. Not really necessary unless you want it to endure your lifetime. There is a member on here that has his transom stained/varnished, It looks awesome.

Here are some pictures of transoms I've redone. Maybe they might help with ideas when you re-create yours. The top two were for 15/25hp, the bottom was for a 5hp. I would use stainless hardware and 3m 5200 to seal the holes and bolts.

Attachments

• bb1tran1.JPG
    bb1tran1.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 690
  • bb1tran4.JPG
    bb1tran4.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 690
  • trans9om.jpg
    trans9om.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 690
Hey thanks for the reply. I thought about making it full size to begin with but the original was smaller...Ther transom had a stamped shape in it that makes it a little stronger I guess, meaning its not just flat across. That would be the only thing that may make it odd to make the inside bigger. I may have to use a spacer of some sort. Its all very solid as is I'll try to take a pic this weekend.

Typically 2 pieces of 3/4 laminated together is pretty std. What the above post said about larger width would be better too, other than just a pad. I would definitely seal the wood with something though to help prevent rot otherwise you will be doing it again in a couple of years, especially if you keep it outside in the weather.

I've got so much on my plate right now with boats I thought about throwing a couple dollars at a friend to help. Next time you're in Pcola I've got the boat and beer, keep this in mind!

Mmmm beer lol dude i'd get freakin murderd by my wife if i did any fishing while we were on vacation, one more year untill im back in pcola for good! god i cant wait man im itching for the salt air an sun instead of salty roads and cold

sixgun86 said:
I've got so much on my plate right now with boats I thought about throwing a couple dollars at a friend to help. Next time you're in Pcola I've got the boat and beer, keep this in mind!

I just had an idea. I have a peice of plexiglass that is half inch thick (4x8 sheet) in an old barn at a farm we have. We're burning the barns next weekend. We found it and thought what do we need it for...wonder how that would do as a transom peice. It would never rot. ....It may be experiment time....

I'm thinking paint it with Krylon fusion and go from there.....Hmmmmm

eh you might crack the plexi even though it's that thick it still cracks under weight, the clamps from the motor might crack it unless you can spread out the pressure from the clamps evenly over the surface, maybe a piece of 1/4 plywood between the plexi and the clamps.

JamesM56alum said:
eh you might crack the plexi even though it's that thick it still cracks under weight, the clamps from the motor might crack it unless you can spread out the pressure from the clamps evenly over the surface, maybe a piece of 1/4 plywood between the plexi and the clamps.

Yeah thats kinda what I was thinking....I also have some other softer plastic sheets that may work for that. Worst case I remake it...I'm going to snag the stuff out of the barn before the burn just to try it.

Here's mine for a sample... 2 layers of 3/4 exterior plywood laminated with titebond III waterproof glue, sealed with West Systems 105 epoxy. Still have to put on a coat of spar urethane for UV protection. The aluminum plate is a front door kick plate I cut to fit, just so the motor clamps won't cut into the epoxy and wood.

Attachments

• New transom.jpg
    New transom.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 655
There is that pretty transom!

Plexi is expensive, went to buy a piece the other day for a tower and paid almost $20 for a 2x2x1/4? Paint would scratch off it easily as well. Have no idea how durable it can be either.

@ James, bring her. The girls can keep each other occupied while we tend to the sea creatures. Our departure might go unnoticed [-o<

Yeah I know its expensive. I don't have to pay for it though. I have a 4'x8'x.5 inch piece in the barn I just have to go drag it out. Can't imagine what it was bought for and then set in an old hay barn...oh well I will use it for something...worst case it doesn't work and I go back to my plywood. :D

Latest posts