Securing cargo when trailering on highway?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbarba11

Reaction score
How does everyone secure the cargo inside their jon boat when trailering on the highway? I have been just tossing my equipment in the boat for short trips but I'm going to start traveling farther and am concerned with securing my rods, tackle, life vests, etc. I have a 1442 alumacraft jon boat.

Thanks for the replies,
Dave

My life vests are stored in the rear and front decks that I built. My tackle is heavy enough to ride OK in the boat and I put my poles inside the vehicle while traveling.

I usually just put all the light stuff in the back of the truck and leave the tank and rods in the boat, rods get tucked under the seat to keep them out of the wind, fish bucket just gets tucked in the corner by the transom with the lid on it, other than that you could probally go buy a couple larger coolers to put all your loose stuff in and either boot strap them to the gunrail or one of the seats, it'll water proof it and also keep it clean in the boat.

Thanks for the replies. I don't have any storage compartments or access to under the seats. I do have a rubber perforated floor that I was thinking of attaching a cargo net with hooks to and placing any items of concern under that.

I'm also in the process of installing pedestal seats, do you keep this on while on the highway or remove them?

Thanks!

All my tackle and such stays in the boat and I have been putting my life vests in the toolbox of the truck but I gotta change that because last time I forgot to put them in the boat and low and behold I met the game warden putting in while I was coming out. :shock:

What do you consider a far tow?

I take my tin for five days to the Sierras (about a six hour tow one way) and only put the heavier stuff in the boat. Wind and bad roads can play havoc on lighter stuff. The rods are stored in four inch diameter PVC tubes because once we broke a rod in the Sierras and they are not cheap anywhere near the lakes! I now bring along a bunch of spare rods and reels.

Having a "little" experience with the power of the wind on sailboats....I've learned to have a healthy respect for the power of the wind when one is moving down the road.

I drive at 70 mph to most of my fishing spots. The wind can pull ANYTHING out of a boat at those kinds of speeds. I've seen things blow out of my boat MANY TIMES. Don't leave anything in your boat that you are not willing to lose.

To illustrate that point......I was driving down a highway in Houston a year or two ago.

In front of me was a big 18 wheeler with a load of steel plate on it. 4 x 8
sheets of solid steel plates were stacked on the truck. They were not tied down, apparently. With the help of wind power, one sheet was lifted off of a stack and flew 100 feet down the highway.

I don't know the weight of a sheet of steel that big, but it was heavier than anything I would normally leave in my boat.

It came close enough to me to guillotine my head off had it come into my windshield. Instead, it hit the highway and sparked as it slid 50 feet across the lanes.

Wheeew...I learned an even better appreciation for the power of the wind that day. I called 911 hoping someone would stop the truck. The driver, apparently, hadn't tied down its dangerous load.

R

most of my stuff sits in the hatches,rods in the holders,cooler and boombox on the low deck,and i picked up a trailerable boat cover on sale last summer if i'm doing any hiway or dusty forest service roads.i built storage compartments just so i don't have lifejackets,gastank,spare rodholders,tackle, rods,cooler,etc. all over the place,just clean,uncluttered decks.

Bungee straps...a cargo net might work for you...and I have a bunch of these in my boat. Forget what they are called but they are really handy. They are like giant twist-ties.

2012-02-11_13-03-01_855.jpg

Thanks everyone. I have about a 3 hour drive on highways where I will be traveling upwards of 65mph. I drive a 2-door wrangler with very limited carrying space, basically no trunk at all. When I fish local(within 5 minutes of my house) I throw everything in the boat. I usually have my boat loaded with batteries, rods, tackle, pedestal seats, life vests, etc. Do you think it would work to strap everything to the floor with bungee cords and a cargo net and then cover the boat with it's cover for the highway?

IMG-20111112-00062Resized.jpg
Interior rod rack in the Tahoe...made from WalMart coat rack + DuBro holders.
(and those are Blue Water LEDs mounted to the headliner trim)

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback so far. I just don't have enough space to fit much of anything in my truck. I'm most likely going to go the cover route and try to secure everything underneath as good as possible.

richg99 said:
Having a "little" experience with the power of the wind on sailboats....I've learned to have a healthy respect for the power of the wind when one is moving down the road.

I drive at 70 mph to most of my fishing spots. The wind can pull ANYTHING out of a boat at those kinds of speeds. I've seen things blow out of my boat MANY TIMES. Don't leave anything in your boat that you are not willing to lose.

To illustrate that point......I was driving down a highway in Houston a year or two ago.

In front of me was a big 18 wheeler with a load of steel plate on it. 4 x 8
sheets of solid steel plates were stacked on the truck. They were not tied down, apparently. With the help of wind power, one sheet was lifted off of a stack and flew 100 feet down the highway.

I don't know the weight of a sheet of steel that big, but it was heavier than anything I would normally leave in my boat.

It came close enough to me to guillotine my head off had it come into my windshield. Instead, it hit the highway and sparked as it slid 50 feet across the lanes.

Wheeew...I learned an even better appreciation for the power of the wind that day. I called 911 hoping someone would stop the truck. The driver, apparently, hadn't tied down its dangerous load.

R

Wow! Now THAT will get your attention. Not sure what the thickness of those plates may have been, but a sheet of 1/4" thick steel 4' X 8' weighs 320 pounds.
A sheet of 1/8" weighs about 150.
1/16" is about 75 pounds.

In any case, none of these is something you want meeting your windshield at 70 MPH.

The power of the wind is one thing, but on the highway, it seems to be magnified. Stuff that stays put in a boat at 50 MPH on the water, will easily launch its way out of the boat at 35 MPH going down the highway.

Latest posts