Noodles?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisP

Reaction score
I searched the site for floatation ideas, I came upon posts suggesting the use of pool noodles as a source of floatation. As I researched further, pool sites claim that a single noodle will float 100 lbs. Using formulas on boat building sites, I calculated I need about 7.5 cubic feet of 2 lbs density foam, which is pretty much what I have in available space under the benches. I would really like to use some of that space for storage compartments so my question is - do pool noodles truly provide better floatation and therefore I would need less giving me the opportunity to create some storage without sacrificing safety?

I know that pool noodles are made of polyethlyene foams versus the standard floation which is polystyrene but I cannot find any information on bouyancy factors. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance - Chris!

Iv heard alot about them being used, im planning on putting them on the underside of my bench seats in my boat, im thinking if i buy 4 6ft noodles and cut them inhalf and split them down the middle an make them into a C shape and lock them togeather so i can fit more than one layer under the seat, if your boat is sinking i personally dont think it will keep it from going below the water line but i do think it will buy you a decent amount of time to get a good head start on bailing the water or pumping it out.

there's also some guys on here filling their useless space in the bow's and some in the floors full of empty blastic bottles, i guess anything to buy you that extra few minutes needed to make it to shore.

I like the plastic bottle idea. They'll never water log and they weigh next to nothing.

I've used a noodle a few times while swimming in the local lake, I weigh 205, and one noodle would keep my shoulders and head above water, two would allow me to keep my refreshments dry and smoke a cig at the same time.

I used them on my build. If I would have been thinking ahead I would have done what JamesM suggests. I could have gotten more in. I probably have 50 plus under my floor along with the pink insulation board from HD. The noodles are closed cell so they won't hold water like the styro foam. I don't see a problem with some under floor storage. Check out my thread and you will see plenty of noodles.

I used Foam board. If you follow my build thread at all you get the sense that I'm quite the bottom feeder. I used the board because it was free.

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. the noodles will work better than board, IMO, because it will be easier to get enough into the boat.
The foam board is much tougher to place in the boat, ESPECIALLY in back.

If my boat ever gets swamped, it's going to tail down, and only the bow bobbing up and down in the water.

Latest posts