Foam for the gunwales

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catman529

Reaction score
Got me a few pieces of 6' by 1" pipe insulation to cover the gunwales on my 14x32 flat bottom. The cheapest kind, dark gray foam, split down the middle with adhesive, with a 1" inner diameter. You know the stuff... anyway, it is for 2 purposes. It will protect the roof of the car (currently a minivan) from scratches, and dull the noise of paddles and fishing rods. Of course, being as cheap as it is, it would get torn up quickly. I got a big roll of Gorilla tape to cover them with, to make them more durable. I am thinking of covering up the adhesive on them so they will be removable. And if/when they fall apart, it's not expensive to replace. Anyone else used these for their boat?

I use some on my boat. The kind I got didn't have adheasive, and I debated glueing them down but didn't. I take them off when I am trailering/storing the boat and use a copule of bungee cords to tie them to my oars. They really save the wear and tear on my rods.

Cool. I have them on my boat now, in the process of covering them with Gorilla tape. If the tape stays on them good, they should last a while, and I will not glue them to the boat (I have to remove them to paint the boat anyway).

Latest posts