Rustoleum Self Etching Primer... does it work

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catman529

Reaction score
I sure hope it does, got a few cans ready to go. Sorry if this is an old question... I am new to this stuff, and via my research I found that a self etching primer should help the paint stick to aluminum better. Once I am ready to prime my boat, I will scrub it down with a scotch brite and soapy water, then rinse and dry and apply the primer. Then the top coat will be Rustoleum Camouflage paint, in the dark green color. Just wondering if this etch primer is good stuff or not.

A lot of guys here use is, including myself. Mine hasn't seen wear yet so I cannot attest to longevity but it does appear to have good adhesion.

That's the brand I used all over my boat. Washed mine down with a diluted vinegar and rinsed well. I read somewhere on here that you should not use soap water. There was a couple different things to use that would dry quick and not leave a residue. Something on those lines. Made sense to me and vinegar by the gallon is cheap.

I was actually considering vinegar but wanted to use soap to remove any oily residue. But if soap is a no-no then I got plenty of vinegar to use. What's the ratio for diluting it?

I did not use any scientific method, just a gallon bucket and probably about a pint. It had a strong smell. Just kept washing and rinsing.

Latest posts