Drafting questions/issues...need to draft even MORE shallow!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez

Reaction score
Hey gang. I'm an ultra-shallow river runner, and I have an Alumacraft with a new 4 stroke 60/40 Merc. I absolutely LOVE my rig because it's built like a tank, and has taken me anywhere I want to go. I don't know exactly how shallow it'll run on plane, but I KNOW it'll run in 4" of water (yes inches). :twisted: :shock:

I currently have a jackplate installed with a 4" offset, and I really enjoy being able to fine tune the motor height in order to hit its "sweet spot". However, I'm afraid I may not be able to draft as shallow with the jack plate on because the offset creates a lever or fulcrum effect making the back of the boat draft deeper than the rest.

I've seen a couple of alternative options (transom risers, some kind of crazy lookin' brackets, etc), but I'm interested to see if anybody here has any advise on what I can do to get less draft out of my sled. Currently, it drafts in about 8" of water....which is kinda shallow I reckon, but it makes for a bumpy ride when floating 4" shallows ya know?

I've even looked into sponsons and float pods, but I hear they're bad to cause cavitation for jet motors. Maybe one of you guys can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

J 8)

Alright, so you are saying you want the motor to be higher, but don't want the additional setback of the jackplate? Is that correct?

Ok, I got a jet myself with a 60/40 e-tec on it and going shallower is up to you but I'm ok with 4 inches. I mean sometimes I just sit there on plane, knowing what is below me, thinking to myself....Shiiiiiiiiiii........LOL!

No guys. I'm perfectly fine with runnin' 4" of water ON PLANE, but I'd like to fix it so it will draft more shallow than 8". Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks again! :D