Lowe 1232 specs/stability

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

influx99

Reaction score
I am brand new to really small Jon boats and have a question about stability and capacity for a Lowe 1232 that I am considering purchasing.

Here are the specs for the boat:
Length: 11' 8"
Beam: 48"
Bottom Width: 32"
Side Depth: 16"
Transom Height: 15"
Ribs: 3
Approx. Hull Weight: 90 lb
Max. Weight Capacity: 335 lb
Max. Person Capacity: 2
Max. Person Weight Capacity: 295 lb
Max. HP Capacity: 3 hp
Hull Gauge: .050"

I already have a 46lb electric trolling motor that I will mount on the stern. There's a possibility that I can get my hands on a 3HP 2stroke, though. I really want to be able to fly fish from it, which is much easier if I can stand up. I really want a car-top boat (will go on my roof rack on a 4Runner), so it's important that I can load/unload by myself. I plan on fishing small lakes and ponds and some rivers as well.

Here are my questions, sorry if they seem very elementary:
- If I am fishing by myself, will I be able to stand in the boat?
- With 2 people in the boat, I don't expect either person to be able to stand, is that correct?
- Between me and my partner, our combined weight would be about 340. So right there I'm already over person weight capacity. Once I add a motor and gear, I assume I'll be close to 400. Is this too heavy to even safely operate the boat while sitting, despite the rating?
- If I'm really pushing the weight ratings and being able to stand, what is the smallest boat I can go with that will allow 2 people to stand and fish? A 1236 still too small? And would the 140lb boat be too much to handle getting on/off the truck? And would my 46lb thrust motor be too small to power the boat?

Your feedback is much appreciated.

I grew up fishing from a 12/32 with my dad. It is not very stable when standing, one person at a time. If the other person moved suddenly, say a big sneeze, it was an exhilarating experience! A 12/36 should provide more stablity, and have more weight carrying capacity (wider is better when you are goint to be standing). The hull thickness will go a long way in determining the boat weight. I personally would not overload a boat if at all possible.
A 46# trolling motor will move it along reasonably well. We used to use a 17 and then moved to a 36, which did well. You may want to look into an inflatable (Zodiac-type) as an alternative since you are set on car-topping it?

I'm sure others will chime in soon with other alternatives and info as well.

Latest posts