I had to do something.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonLester

Reaction score
Well since its been cold here I cant really work on the boat or trailer. So I had to figure out something. I have my motors stored in a storage room at work. They were just laying on the floor. I don't really like it so after seeing Sketchup model another member posted of his boat and a motor stand I got to thinking. I had some old 2x4s just laying around at work so I cut them up and built one for my motors. I have it sitting on a tread mill that is in the storage room too. Unfortunatly the floor isn't too flat in this part of the room so the treadmill lets it sit more stable...I'll find a better spot later.

Anyway here is a picture.

boat motors.jpg

Nice job...Nice idea. Not only did you use the plans provided by another member, you got the engines off the deck and where they belong. I can't even imagine the sludge and crap that flowed where it wasn't wanted....... with the motors sitting flat on a concrete. Winters are good for something......

regards, R

Nice project :) I am new here and could not post the pics I wanted because I can't figure how to post them on here? I tried photobucket with the image thing above but it would not go through? I was going to post pics of the one I built last year to give you some ideas of options when building a motor stand.

When replying scroll down and hit the "browse" button and then once that is done hit add the file.... Then I usually hit place inline or whatever it says so I can put the files in the order I want. And if you don't type anything I think you have to do that.
BTW if your file size is to big it will not let you upload. Not sure what size is the max though.

The photobucket thing should have worked. Just past the img version from below your pic in photobucket...and don't use the button above...its just to insert the tags which are already there from photo bucket.

Does that make sense... I'd love to see the pics.

richg99 said:
Nice job...Nice idea. Not only did you use the plans provided by another member, you got the engines off the deck and where they belong. I can't even imagine the sludge and crap that flowed where it wasn't wanted....... with the motors sitting flat on a concrete. Winters are good for something......

regards, R

I agree....the Merc was my Grandfathers and he never had it on a stand. Though it was serviced and has sat since so I'm not sure what I will have to do to it. But thats my primary choice on motors for my boat. The 2.5 was used in Aug last and has sit there since. I never liked laying it on its side but hopefully no problems We'll see when it gets warm.

I made it big enough to alow me some room to work on them if I need to. Turned out bigger than I figured. But I kinda just winged it on building it. I'm pretty happy with it though. I plan to add some braces at or near the top to stiffen the conection there.

Nice job. I really like the wider stand so you can fit two motors on it. I should have done at so I could put my trolling motor on there as well.

I can put a trolling motor easily on there and still have room for another outboard I believe. I think I may make a place at the bottom to put my tank. and maybe the batteries. Then eventually I'll take this home and put it in the garage. Although it never freezes where its at....my garage is a different story.

Ha Ha...

"I can put a trolling motor easily on there and still have room for another outboard I believe. I think I may make a place at the bottom to put my tank. and maybe the batteries."

Heck, add a hull and you might as well go fishing...Ha ha..

R

Thanks JasonLester. Here are the pics I could find without making new ones. I made the bottom 2x4s extend out the front and made a platform for gas tank, battery, toolbox or whatever else you want with running and working on motors. Also left the back side open so I can lift motors and back right over the water barrel to run them. There are heavy duty casters on all four corners and the front 2 swivel. Makes it really easy to turn and move around. Oh and I put some short nails on the side where they won't catch your cloths to hang my muffs and other things. I can get my 15hp and my 25hp on it with room to spare for my 6hp if I want them real close. Anyway just some thoughts for you and thanks for the picture advice :)

Attachments

• DSCN6294.JPG
    DSCN6294.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,880
  • DSCN6410.JPG
    DSCN6410.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,880
Oh and make sure your mounting board is as thick or thicker than the transom of your boat. Because when you take the motor off the stand and go to put it on your boat and the twist clamps aren't backed out far enough it really sucks because you got to then set the motor down or put it back on the motor stand lol. When you got a 130lb 25hp in your hand you don't want that to happen #-o

Here are my homemade stands, ending up giving one away when I sold a boat. Kept one and reinforced it half way through so I could get a 40hp on it. Wishing I kept it because I've got a motor on the floor right now. :cry:

Attachments

• garager.jpg
    garager.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 1,840
Nice looking stands guys. I'll try to get a pic of what I use and get it posted.

Jason, is that a 20hp Merc? From what I can see, it looks just like the 75 model I've got. I've been in the same situation as you, weather keeping me from working on my boat or trailer. Since the weather turned off bad, I decided to tear my motor down part way to convert it back to tiller. Then I decided to just tear it all the way down and do a paint job on it and rebuild the water pump while I had it that far apart. During the rebuild, I discovered that the oil seal below the water pump was leaking, so I saved myself a little more work by doing the pump now.

I noticed most of you have stationary stands. I put wheels on mine so I could move it around the shop more easily. One word of advice if you do this, put LOCKING wheels on them. I didn't think about it at the time, but I sure learned my lesson the first few times I tried to pull start my motor!

Yes locking wheels help a lot. Especially if you have your motors in a barrel and put it into gear :) I am glad I put locking casters on mine.

I'll eventually put casters on it...thanks for the tip about locking ones. I'll be sure to get them....mine is not near as nice as some you all posted...it was made quickly the other day with some spare 2x4s that we had laying around a work for a couple years. I could have made it nicer but figured it would do fine for what I wanted it for.

Latest posts