Nuts and Washers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
When I removed my old trolling motor, a few stainless steel nuts and washers fell into the hull where I can't access them. I contacted the boat manufacturer and they recommended I remove them before they rust out. Considering I can't shrink myself and climb into the access panel, maybe you guys can think something up.
I tried using a camera to take a pic of locations but that didn't work out to well. I removed a storage compartment but there is an aluminum panel in front blocking access.
Thanks!

There are products you can buy that are long and slender with a magnet or retractable 'claws' on the end you can use to reach into small spaces to get things out. Also could just try a coat hanger-bent at the proper angle-with a small magnet taped to the end... its simple but could be effective.

If they are stainless steel I wouldn't worry to much. Now if you really want them out can you get a hose attached to a strong vacuum cleaner in to the area they are? You might have to tilt the boat so they move around.

Unless you need them for something - let them be. They will not cause any harm.

I had a few in the bottom of my boat that were there for almost 20 years - when we re-did the boat we discovered them - discolored but they caused no harm at all

Were they stainless, though, Ahab?

I know I had some non stainless screws and nuts on mine when I got it that had started to create rust in the surrounding area they were in contact with - I had to sand it off.

I would suggest the coat hanger with a magnet on the end as a cheap solution or what really may work is going to the car wash and using the vacuum cleaners they have there - those things have incredible suction. I took my boat down there to clean it out and took the end off the hose - was amazing! :D

the hammer said:
I tried one of those magnet things. SS is not magnetic.

You are correct - You would need a VERY strong magnet to attract SS - The vacuum idea may work - Good luck let us know what you did in the end

I would not worry about it, its not worth the trouble to get it out, and since its stainless--it really will not do much of any damage at all. IF you really want to get it out, you can use a tool like this: https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-31140-Flexible-Retrieving-Tool/dp/B001PNC2K2

I have one similar, and they work great for such an application. Although I over paid for mine (**** Snap-On truck!) it is a nifty tool to have on hand

Maybe something like this will work.
https://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch-2-in-1-pickup-tool-94162.html

Latest posts