Aluminum V Color

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cotton Mouth

Reaction score
I see that a lot of the used aluminum V boats for sale are not painted or are of an aluminum color yet they have dulled over the years. Is it possible and/or what is the best way to restore the shine to these boats?

There are a lot of post about this topic. I am not sure of the details, but it involves A LOT of sanding and polishing--but you can polish it to a mirror finish. People usually start with about a 200-400 grit sand paper, then work there way down to about a 3000 grit paper... buff, polish, buff and polish some more... Comes out looking fantastic, but it is a ton of labor (and a far amount of upkeep as well)

Try searching the forum using terms like 'mirror finish' or 'polished aluminum' and you will find hours of reading material on the subject.

Thanks!

I was hoping there would be some kind of solvent that would do the job quicker and with less elbo grease.

I can't say for giving it a shine, but you can clean it off with vinegar (diluted a bit) and a scotch brite pad. Might make it easier to polish but then I really don't know...

Aluminum wheel cleaner I have seen works ok but its not shiny when done just brighter. I am gonna try on my boat when the weather gets better I think. I don't want mirror finish just brighter than the dull greay I have now.

I polished my rig but like said before you have to keep polishing it or the shine fades quick. I'll be painting next go around

Latest posts