Best size small river boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 7806

Reaction score
This will be my 1st boat and I will be fishing mainly small no comercial rivers in the area. There are 2 within 10 miles of my house including a small lake which was created by a sand company removing the sand and gravel. I have a small GMC Sonoma pickup with a 2.2 4 cyl automatic.

I have been checking craigslist in the area for one of the following, a 1448, 1648 or a 1654 all would have a 20-25 hp motor. Around here you can find all these sizes for about the same price.

Probably 40% of the time I will be fishing by myself the other 60% I would have one other person and on a rare occasion there might be a total of 3. This will probably be the only boat that I will be able to convince the CFO that I need so I don't want to get one and not be happy and wish I would have gotten a differnt size.

Any suggestions?

Hey Gramps,

Go with the 1654, If you keep her light, she will run out real nice on 25hp. And will tow just fine behind your sonoma. I have NEVER met anyone who said "darn, I wish I would have got a smaller boat", plus, the CFO will feel that your money was better spent. Reminds me of when I bought my first travel trailer, she was a little 13' caveman, when I brought her home the wife was pissed- several years later, I spent alot more money on a 23' trailer and the wife was happy as pie.

I have to agree.... It's amazing how small a boat seems once you have all of your gear in it. go with the 1654. A 25hp prob motor will move you along pretty nice...

a 16' with a 25hp would be my dream boat, but until then I have a 12' with a 6hp. It is cozy and not real fast, but it is great on the river. It doesn't need much water to float and it is small enough to tuck back into coves and behind fallen trees.

I think it depends on the type fishing you do. I've been pan fishing and wished I had a smaller boat when weaving in and around those cypress tress. But when I'm out on open water trolling for crappie or catfishing, I've wanted a bigger boat with more room. I've just picked up a 15' and am trying to decide if I want to sell my 12' or keep it for those times when a smaller boat is more advantageous. I think if I had to choose one or the other, I'd go with the bigger boat though.

Thanks for all the recomendations, opinions, & comments.

Today after an hour and a half test drive we purchased a 1985 1651 Polar Kraft with a 20 HP Mercury

DSC03962.JPG

Cruising down the river enjoying the sites
DSC03964.JPG

The previous owner getting ready to load it back up on the trailer.

Man thats nice! Thats what I am looking for, I have the 12x36 with the suzuki 6 on it but with the wife, daughter and gear we need a biger one for when they want to go, plus crab traps. It fills up fast. Have fun with that one!

Hey Gramps you made a GREAT choice...I had one of those 22 years ago and pushed it with a 15hp Johnson....one of the safest and most stable outfits going...good luck with it!

I'd love to go out with you, but I'm working all week...as usual. Maybe next weekend if the weather holds I might find time to sink a line.

fender66 said:
I'd love to go out with you, but I'm working all week...as usual. Maybe next weekend if the weather holds I might find time to sink a line.

A BIG THANKS to all you guys that are working so I can play. I really appreciate you guys putting money on the bucket that I'm drawing out of.......

Weekend is a possibility, not sure what the weather forcast is for the weekend.

Nice boat! That's EXACTLY what I want, but as they say "happiness is wanting what you have". Enjoy...

Latest posts