Building my own livewell?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwave

Reaction score
I decided to build my own livewell last night. Fish4fool, Crappie-slayer, and anyone else that want's to chime in please do. I have plenty of plywood laying around and have decided that I will attempt to build and resin-coated, gel-coat live well built right into my framing somewhere to be determined. I have an idea of a rectangular box with radius ends, encapsulated with resin then gel-coated. What do yall think? has anyone ever tried this before? :?:

Thanks
Kevin

This is what I had in mind..... I'm not an artist so don't laugh

Attachments

• hand drawn.JPG
    hand drawn.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 611
Why not. If you are handy enough with the materials, I used to have a v20 wellcraft center console with 2 fiberglass / gelcoat livewells, factory of course but from what I have seen on this forum, many of you are as talented as any factory people.
Tim

bigwave said:
I decided to build my own livewell last night. Fish4fool, Crappie-slayer, and anyone else that want's to chime in please do. I have plenty of plywood laying around and have decided that I will attempt to build and resin-coated, gel-coat live well built right into my framing somewhere to be determined. I have an idea of a rectangular box with radius ends, encapsulated with resin then gel-coated. What do yall think? has anyone ever tried this before? :?:

Thanks
Kevin

This is what I had in mind..... I'm not an artist so don't laugh

I have built them using simular methods, my only suggestion would be to use a fine cloth along with the resin and gel-coat

I do plan on using either a fine cloth for the interior or some kitty hair resin its a little easier to work with on the radius corners....will probably use both. I could easily get a tank, but I want the well to just disappear somewhere aft of my casting deck. I want to just turn around and drop the greenbacks and thread's right into the well. The tarpon and snook like a nice clean bait.

Subscribed. When you build, please take some pics at each step, I may follow with my own. I'm very interested in the resin and gel coat process you are speaking of.

to build flowing speakerboxes they build a frame and the strech and staple fleece. coat it with resin then glass over.might be worth looking at for you tank.

I had this old fish shipping container laying around and thought that it would make a perfect size well. This is just a thought and it is really on the back burner but I plan on using this as a mold to make the shell. I will also make a lip all the way around it using 3/4 plywood for the shape of the rectangle on the outside edge....should be very strong with woven fiberglass between the layers. More to come later.

Attachments

• well.JPG
    well.JPG
    678.4 KB · Views: 514