Life Jackets

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pemnuts

Reaction score
What are you guys using for life preservers / jackets ? There's many types, designs and specialty uses.. as I'm going fishing in a canoe with a buddy, I'm going to need some advice from you guys that have been enjoying the sport for a long time.
I've seen many online that buckle, snap and zip, inflate and some you wear around your waist.. there's probably a few I haven't come across yet.
If I find myself swimming for any reason, I want to know I've backed my rear end up properly and not spent money on something foolish..
Thanks again for your sound solutions and advice =]

During the summer, I often wear a type 5 harness vest with the rip cord type inflator.

But during the winter, I'm always wearing my type 3 Mustang Survival float coat. Not only is it a PFD, it is also a VERY warm jacket.

You should consider PFDs designed for paddle boats. I have one that I use whenever I kayak, and it is great for canoes, as well. They are a bit less bulky and allow for easier arm movement. Whatever you pick, get a quality product.

Make sure it isn't too warm. I got one that seemed comfortable and had some zippered pockets, uses zipper and buckles, but it has a colar lined with fleece which is a little warm in the summer. I wished I had bought one of those with the mesh.

I got basic preservers that sell for like $10 for $5 on Craigslist...they will only be worn in emergency so I wasn't to concerned on style.

Jdholmes said:
I got basic preservers that sell for like $10 for $5 on Craigslist...they will only be worn in emergency so I wasn't to concerned on style.

You really should consider a "constant wear" type of floatation.

I'm search and rescue:

DSCN3598.jpg

So I have a bit of a "unique" perspective on it.

I don't want to sound like your dad, but those I've usually gone out for also had the mindset they were for emergency only.

Most of the ones that didn't make it didn't realize that you usually don't have time to (or can't) grab your floatation.

IE: slip, whack your head, over the side, it's all over -or- leaning over to net that fish, over the side and your trolling motor just idles the boat away -or- tooling across the lake, hit a log or swamp and down she goes, you've got a mile or two to shore, water is 10 degrees, hypothermic after a 1/4 mile and you're done.

Floatation in the vessel itself can help (why manufacturers install it), unless you've removed it for live wells/storage/walking space or the vessel is overturned and you can't get to your PFD stuff.

Then there's the times the vessel gets in trouble, people panic and just jump over the side without thought of a PFD. Don't laugh, it happens. I know....

Ultimately, you're a big boy, it's your choice.

But I've seen it time and time again.

Please get something that is constant wear. Something comfortable that you will wear all the time. With the stuff on the market these days, you can buy something with floatation so comfortable you don't even know it's a floater.

If not for yourself, do it for your family.

This is not the place to save money. Get the very best you can, for everyone that will be on the boat.

I'd rather be the guy handing you a coffee and a blanket on the ride back to base after a very cold swim and a hoist in rather than the guy who has to pull the zipper closed on the bag.

Sorry to be so "heavy", but it's a very heavy subject and I've got far too much personal experience with it.....

I have a mixture of type-2 and type-3 jackets. I have two 'angler' type-3 jackets which are more comfortable and easy to wear. I also have two type-2 jackets which are cheaper and probably safer vest for boat guest. Not knowing their swimming capability, I like knowing they have the safest type of vest to wear, something that will keep their face above water in a worst case scenario 'panic' situation.

Great white is right on with his comments.

I've assisted DNR and the Coast Guard a few times, looking for missing boaters, it's a rare occasion that they are found alive, especially this time of year. And without a PFD, the chances of survival go down even more.

In water that is just 60 degrees, your expected survival time is about 2 hours MAX. But, regardless of how well you can endure the cold, or how well you can swim, if you fall over and hit your head and get knocked out, all those skills matters none, you're done for.

This past 4th of July weekend, we had a boater who was found floating face down in just a few inches of water, he had a seizure and fell overboard. So, even in water that is warm enough to survive exposure for a few days, it only takes a teaspoon of water in your lungs to kill you.

In addition to wearing a PFD, you should always wear a kill switch, ESPECIALLY with tiller handle outboard engines, because, if you fall over, the boat can start circling, and will run you over.

I totally belive what Greatwhite said. I use Type 1 PFD on all of my vessels. If you whack your head it will keep your head above water, and they have solas tape which makes SAR job a bit easier. I never leave the ramp without my epirb, EVERYONE should have one of these.

Yah, I appreciate the advice...I think it does make a difference where you live too and the type of water you are in.

Where I came from I fished in water that most of the time you wouldn't have to go far to hit shore or at least be able to stand up in.

Now I am in a place that the water is always warm and there are lots of boats around and helicopters fly over many times a day, Lake Mead I am healthy, decent shape, have some coast guard training keep the preservers out of the bench and will be with someone 99% of the time.

I understand the perspective, and that the dentist will always tell me to floss daily because he "knows" it is for my best interest, and I will continue to not. Everybody has to make their decision, so I am not arguing with your opinion, just expressing my situation and the reasoning behind my decision.

I'm not going to try to beat this senseless, but I will leave you with one last story to think about:

The last rescue I went out on for recreational boating was for 3 guys in a 16 foot aluminum on a lake that was about 1 mile across and 7 miles long.

They were heading from a cottage on one end of the lake to the other end.

It was a calm, clear summer day, water like glass.

They were tooling along around 10 mph (9.9 outboard, speed was a guess by the occupant) maybe a couple hundred feet from shore.

One guy was wearing a PFD, two weren't.

The two who weren't wearing PFD's were sitting on theirs because the benches were "uncomfortable" and it was inconvenient to pull them on. Besides, what could possibly happen on this little puddle?

They hit a semi submerged log and overturned (survivor's account).

The boat stayed at the surface but remained overturned.

One guy was able to swim to shore with a fractured cheek bone and jaw.

There were two other boats on the lake that saw it and came over. One of the boats called it in to the RCMP who called the rescue center. They launched us.

We arrived on scene and searched for 6 hours on that little lake, checking cabins, shore lines and water. Ground search combed the shore line for 8 hours until darkness fell.

The end result was the other two that were in the boat were recovered by divers from the bottom of the lake the next day. One showed evidence of head trama and the other had no other injuries other than drowning.

Had they been wearing PFD's, there would have been 3 wet guys on the shore line waiting for a lift back to their cottage or the hospital.

Please, wear a PFD at all times on the water. I've got more stories about not wearing PFD's and death than I ever wanted to know.

Water is unforgiving and doesn't give a rat's patootie about you or your family.....

We use PFDs for kayaks on our boats that have zippered pockets. I carry an emergency knife in my PFD from my sailing days to cut away anything that might get in the way. Things happen so quickly. One moment you're dry then all of a sudden floating in the water! We also carry floating seat pads.

Oh, also forgot - No logs in the dessert. ;)

Don't mean to beat it to death either, but I maintain that many of the common dangers are dependent upon location.

As far as the uncommon dangers, I 'could' trip and bang my head off the pavement when I am out walking but it doesn't mean I am going to wear a helmet everywhere. :)

PSG-1 said:
In addition to wearing a PFD, you should always wear a kill switch, ESPECIALLY with tiller handle outboard engines, because, if you fall over, the boat can start circling, and will run you over.
Being a survivor of just such an incident, I can attest to the validity of this statement. It was with a ski boat though, back in the mid 70's, and it didn't have a kill switch. Long story short, 3 went in the water, I was the only one that didn't get hit. The driver was the worst, with around 60 stitches, a broken arm, and a concussion.

Being a former search and rescue swimmer from my navy days, I can also verify the importance of PFD's. Although in the scenario above, if I had been wearing one, I wouldn't have been able to dive below the oncoming boat and prop, and I would have been the third victim of that boat. I know this is a rare instance when it turned out better in the end for me because I wasn't wearing a PFD, I'm still a firm believer that they save more lives than not having one on.

JMichael said:
Being a survivor of just such an incident, I can attest to the validity of this statement. It was with a ski boat though, back in the mid 70's, and it didn't have a kill switch. Long story short, 3 went in the water, I was the only one that didn't get hit. The driver was the worst, with around 60 stitches, a broken arm, and a concussion.

Being a former search and rescue swimmer from my navy days, I can also verify the importance of PFD's. Although in the scenario above, if I had been wearing one, I wouldn't have been able to dive below the oncoming boat and prop, and I would have been the third victim of that boat. I know this is a rare instance when it turned out better in the end for me because I wasn't wearing a PFD, I'm still a firm believer that they save more lives than not having one on.

Yeah, it's kinda like the rare instance where a seat belt actually traps you in the vehicle, and it costs you your life. It does happen, but it's rare. Not having the PFD allowed you to escape being hit by the engine, but if that engine had hit you and knocked you out, the PFD might have saved you. Again, this is why I say to always supplement a PFD with a kill switch. Even for those stubborn folks who don't want to wear a PFD, you should always wear a kill switch, for this very reason.

Latest posts