battery question??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassmonkey1

Reaction score
Hey guys!! I'm new to the site and new at boating also...just bought my first boat :lol:!! It's a 14' alumacraft with a gamefisher 9.9 and 28 lb thrust trolling motor..and I'm super freakin excited about it! but the battery that came with it is crap and won't hold a charge,just wondering if I could use a regular ol battery that I had laying around for the trolling motor for now?

Attachments

• 021112131242.jpg
    021112131242.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 624
You sure can use a regular car battery to run it.......for now.

It's kind of like using a pipe wrench to drive a nail; it'll work but won't get the job done quite as well as a hammer and you're going to mess up the wrench in the process.

The only thing you have to be aware of is the limitations compared to a deep cycle.

Regular batteries are "starting batteries". They are meant to give lots of amps over a short period of time. IE: starting an engine.

Deep cycle batteries are intended to give amps over a longer period. IE: tooling around the lake all morning.

The other area of concern is recovery and battery life.

A deep cycle is intended to be run down very low on charge and recharged many times. A starting battery will run down just as low, but you will take life off the battery each time you do it and recharge.

The good thing about your current setup is you also have a gas motor. If the battery dies, you still get back to the ramp. So running the current battery is a viable option. It just may not last as long on a day's use as a deep cycle.

To sum up, it'll get you by but it won't give you the same performance as a deep cycle and will require replacement sooner.

I'm in the middle of a build myself but will be running a deep cycle with a small solar charger and plugging in a battery minder while in the garage. I will also only be running the lights, stereo and pumps off it right now. No trolling motor yet....:(

Congrats on the rig, and welcome to the site.

Good info on batteries already given, and looking at your picture, I'd move the bunks back to that the transom is able to rest on them. Looks like they don't need to go back much.

great white said:
You sure can use a regular car battery to run it.......for now.

It's kind of like using a pipe wrench to drive a nail; it'll work but won't get the job done quite as well as a hammer and you're going to mess up the wrench in the process.

The only thing you have to be aware of is the limitations compared to a deep cycle.

Regular batteries are "starting batteries". They are meant to give lots of amps over a short period of time. IE: starting an engine.

Deep cycle batteries are intended to give amps over a longer period. IE: tooling around the lake all morning.

The other area of concern is recovery and battery life.

A deep cycle is intended to be run down very low on charge and recharged many times. A starting battery will run down just as low, but you will take life off the battery each time you do it and recharge.

The good thing about your current setup is you also have a gas motor. If the battery dies, you still get back to the ramp. So running the current battery is a viable option. It just may not last as long on a day's use as a deep cycle.

To sum up, it'll get you by but it won't give you the same performance as a deep cycle and will require replacement sooner.

I'm in the middle of a build myself but will be running a deep cycle with a small solar charger and plugging in a battery minder while in the garage. I will also only be running the lights, stereo and pumps off it right now. No trolling motor yet....:(

x2!

A decent reliable deep cycle battery (trolling motor battery) can be had for $80-$100 at almost any auto parts store, walmart, etc... Best charger to prolong battery life will be a slow 'trickle charge' with an auto shut-off when battery reaches full charge.

Good luck and enjoy your new boat!!! Tight lines!

Brine said:
Congrats on the rig, and welcome to the site.

Good info on batteries already given, and looking at your picture, I'd move the bunks back to that the transom is able to rest on them. Looks like they don't need to go back much.

+1
You could also move your boat forward on the trailer to get it on the bunks better at the rear. Just measure how much the boat hangs off the bunks at the back, then loosen the nuts that hold the winch post on and slide it forward that much and tighten it back down. And since you're new to boating I'll offer this opinion. Don't tow your boat with the motor in the up and locked position as shown in the picture. Invest in a transom saver if you don't have one.

Latest posts