Is my boat too small?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwynn

Reaction score
Guys, my Jon boat is 14 ft 45 beam top and 31 inch beam on the bottom. I have been sanding and painting away. I will post pictures. Let me know if should stay away from decking the front of the boat. My alternative is to remove the front bench seat and deck the floor? I have 3 bench seats in this boat. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks and God bless.

HI Bwynn,
Thanks for joining! A 31 inch beam might be a little narrow for a full blown, to the top deck, But you should be able to put a floor in between the seats for more comfort. The experts will chime in soon. Post up the pics as soon as you can.

Jim :D

What size motor do you plan on using, and what hp is the boat rated for? I'd be very careful about adding more than 50 lbs or so to the front of a boat that size, but if you take away the front bench, you could theoretically add the same amount of weight back to the front in the form of an actual deck.

I am only going to use trolling motors for the small lake by my house. I do want to put a foot controlled motor on the front.

bwynn said:
I am only going to use trolling motors for the small lake by my house. I do want to put a foot controlled motor on the front.

If that's the case, then I'd add away! Just make sure you get a strong enough TM to pull it. 8)

ibanez said:
bwynn said:

If that's the case, then I'd add away! Just make sure you get a strong enough TM to pull it. 8)
Doesn't really matter what power he has, I wouldn't put a casting deck on top of the seats of a 1432. If you are going electric only, remove the seat, compensate for the lack of bracing, and make it bottom level. Otherwise, you will have stability issues.

removing that bench could REALLY weaken the structural integrity of your boat. Believe me, boat manufacturers don't put rows of benches in small aluminum boats because they think your going to be carrying 9 children everywhere you go..... But rather, its a cheap, easy way to really strengthen things up.

That said, a full deck could theoretically add that lost strength back, however, it needs to be securely attached around its full perimiter.

Just some food for though.

Oh BTW, is your boat too small ? Not for me. I'm fishing out of a 14 1/2 footer, and it really is my freshwater dreamboat :)

Peace,
Fish

Thanks guys for the tips! I am going to try and deck the front. I have removed the front bench and will do a false deck first to see if it works. I will wear my swim trunks just in case.

bwynn said:
Thanks guys for the tips! I am going to try and deck the front. I have removed the front bench and will do a false deck first to see if it works. I will wear my swim trunks just in case.

Cool man! Don't forget the Pics!

Latest posts