Paint prep question?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiletravis09

Reaction score
Ok I have an aluminum boat that had never been painted and has just sat outside for YEARS before I bought it. Today I bought vinegar and SOS pads to take off the little bit of pitting and grime and to try and prep the surface for the etching primer. Well it's working but in some areas there is still not really "shinny" areas. Should I just take an orbital sander to the entire boat or should I just continue using the vinegar and SOS pads? Also was lead ever used in these boats? Mine was made in 1967.

Here is a pic of the boat. I was hopping u could maybe see the pitting and grime on it but this was taken with my phone so it's not the best lol sry

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329689415.792529.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329689415.792529.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 292
I haven't used SOS pads so I can't attest to their effectiveness. I know some guys use the green scotch brite pads. Some guys use sandpaper, but make sure if you do that it is a really fine grit - I believe 220 is a good nuff grit.

I used a wire cone brush in my drill and some sandpaper to scuff it up. The wire brush got the pitting out real good. I then washed the whole boat down with the vinegar water. I used Rustoleum self etching primer. Sanded lightly, then applied Rustoleum marine paint.

I am NOT a painter. This is just how I did mine and I am very pleased with the outcome. The whole job cost about $100

As far as the lead ?, I don't think so. Maybe someone on here can give you a yes or no answer.

Good Luck with your project.

Thanks guys. Yea I meant the green scotch brite pads I got the names confused. But yea I'll probably just sand the boat along with the vinegar solution. I'll post pics this week I'm using rustoleum oil based paint along with the rustoleum aluminum etch primer. I'm excited for this project thanks everyone for the help!

Latest posts