Bought the most important thing for my boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonLester

Reaction score
Well I can't think of anything more critical to my boat build anyway....

P2200005.jpg

I have twin 5 year old girls that love these things. I picked them up at Walmart yesterday for them. They have seen them a few times at the store and bugged me for them. I usually hate closed bail reels but what is a dad to do. My other kids use open reels... If I remember right they have used them too. But they like thier cartoon characters. They played fishing all last night. :D

My 3yr old plays with his character fishing pole all the time lol, his sits in the boat while its in the garage and fishes all the time. They are without a doubt the most important fishing item when you have little ones :)

I agree...anything I can get to get them to want to do things I like...I am fortunate for now..my teenage girl (almost 16) still likes to hunt and fish with me. I'll take it as long as I can... she's a bit beyond the character pole though...

Hey, don't be laughing at little rods [-X

Green Hornet 001.jpg

The 'green hornet' is my fishing rod, the duck head came from an umbrella handle. The pink flamingo rod is my girlfriend's...I made the flamingo head out of a chunk of walnut, then painted it.

Don't laugh, I do catch fish with this silly-looking thing.
The Green Hornet Strikes Again.JPG

I keep it spooled with 20 lb power pro, which is equivalent to 6 lb mono. Works good around the rocks, for catching sheepshead and black drum.
First Sheephead Caught on Micro Rod!.JPG

Micro Rod Black Drum 2.JPG

This may be an unpopular response, but maybe it will help someone in the future. Also below are some links for tips for fishing with kids and they agree with what I state below.

I now advise friends to stay away from the character rod and reels.
They would be great for playing around the backyard, but for a young child fishing is difficult enough without extremely subpar equipment.
My personal story: I took my girlfriend's daughter (at the time 6yrs old) fishing with a character "princess" pole. She had received it as a gift (not from me).
It didn't cast well, it didn't reel in well.
Both of us were frustrated that day. When fish were on the line, i ended up having to pull in the line by hand.

I went to Dick's and bought her a Pflueger microcast closed face combo onsale for $25. The reel has 4 bearings and 4lb test. Rod is about 4'6" long.
Next time we went fishing, wow, the difference.
We were at an outdoorsman club event. All the kids were fishing around a pond. She wasn't having to fight with the poorly made rod/reel combination.
Her casts went further and she was landing some mighty 6 inch bluegill :twisted:
She's been a fishing buddy for two years now and is still doing well with the Pflueger. Got a feeling, that this spring we may have to move her up to larger reel/heavier line.

I know the character rods look cute, but the reels are horrible and can't be changed out.
A few extra dollars can make the experience so much better for all involved. Just my 2 cents.

https://www.takemefishing.org/fishing/family/fish-with-your-kids
https://www.wikihow.com/Take-Children-Fishing

Latest posts