Transom help.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus Nelson

Reaction score
Need to replace my transom on a 1982 Alumacraft lunker. I have removed everything except the 2 fittings in the splashwell. Any ideas on how to get them out and where to find replacements.

Thanks for the ebay link. Those are what I'm looking for. I will hopefully post some pics tonight if I have interenet service. Don't know how to post pics from phone. Thanks again.

• Heres what I need to remove
6772933502_3c430d92e0_m.jpg

Gus they normally screw into each other. Try using two pair of channel locks hold one side and turn the other and then hope for the best.

Tried unscrewing them today as was suggested. and ended up deforming one end. So I figured I had nothing to lose. Took a punch and basically folded the deformed end into the hole far enough and then just used a socket that fit the diameter of the hole, stuck my extension on, and knocked the whole thing out the other side. Worked out pretty nice. No damage to anything other than the fitting but thats getting replaced anyway. I still have one more to do and i'll post some pics of the way I did it.

Glad you got it out without to much trouble, sorry the unscrewing thing did not work out.

Question after you got it out did it look like it was screwed together?

No, it didn't look like it was screwed together. I didnt really think they were but, when youv'e never done this before, you're willing to try anything. The piece that came out was really soft almost like lead so it didn't take much effort to deform it. Now i'm hoping the other one comes out just as easy, then all thats left is removing a bunch of rivets.

Well, I got the transom out on saturday with no real surprises. The knee braces needed to be removed in order to get it out though and that was the only surprise. Not sure if I should reinstall them with rivets or use stainless bolts.IMG_6203.JPGIMG_6415.JPGIMG_6390.JPGIMG_6413.JPG

Making progress, how were the knee braces held in before you removed them. I know mine are pop-riveted to the bottom and bolted thru the transom.

Mine were riveted as well. I'm leaning towards bolting them in in case I ever need to re do the transom.

Gus Nelson said:
Mine were riveted as well. I'm leaning towards bolting them in in case I ever need to re do the transom.
If you bolt them in us 3M4200 to seal the bolts. It removable were 3M5200 is more permeant.