Conversion Plans- 1436 Tracker

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scecil

Reaction score
This is what I'm planning. I had to use my amazing paintshop skills to illustrate.

Thoughts/ideas/impressions post away

Attachments

• Topper-1436-Riveted-Jon_img9306_9001.JPG
    Topper-1436-Riveted-Jon_img9306_9001.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 1,199
I would mount the batteries under the front deck, in front of the forward bench. You are going to have too much weight in the stern with the motor, gas tank, batteries, and you. While on the subject of batteries, do you really need 2? Thats quite a lot of weight to be hauling around, if not necessary.
On my 1436 Tracker, I mounted the battery just forward of the first cross rib near the bow. My trolling motor is on the centerline at the bow, above the battery. This arrangement distributes the weight evenly on my boat. My goal was to keep the weight on the centerline of the boat, which helps with stability. These Trackers are pretty narrow by Jon Boat standards, and every little bit helps.

Tracker1436 said:
I would mount the batteries under the front deck, in front of the forward bench. You are going to have too much weight in the stern with the motor, gas tank, batteries, and you. While on the subject of batteries, do you really need 2? Thats quite a lot of weight to be hauling around, if not necessary.
On my 1436 Tracker, I mounted the battery just forward of the first cross rib near the bow. My trolling motor is on the centerline at the bow, above the battery. This arrangement distributes the weight evenly on my boat. My goal was to keep the weight on the centerline of the boat, which helps with stability. These Trackers are pretty narrow by Jon Boat standards, and every little bit helps.

That's something to think about. I was worried about the batteries dying on a long fishing trip and figured a backup would be great to have. But I guess I could layout the boat with one battery and leave the other at the campsite. Thanks for the idea. I'll be putting it to the test once we get some decent weather up here.

I recommend loading the boat with everything you'd normally take. Including TM, battery, OB, full gas tank. And observe how the boat sits in the water when weight is distributed in different ways. Including where you fish from the boat (bow, stern, one person, two people).

I did this prior to my modifications and again in the middle of my modifications. I found that even though I had 2 batteries, gas tank and OB in the stern, I wanted a little more weight in the stern. I have a different boat so yours may be different. You need to figure out what suits you. And as for 2 batteries, although I have 2 batteries, I definately don't need 2.

Alright I need some help buying decking materials.

I'd like some opinions of either wood, or aluminum for the frame.

and I'm wondering about plywood vs. polymer vs. aluminum for the actual deck.

I am a machinist and have access to just about any tool you could need.

I'm shying away from using all aluminum simply because of cost.

I know wood will be cheaper, but I also want it to last. If I can get 4-5 good years from properly sealed wood, I think I will go that route.

I would just like some other opinions, or some "I wish I would haves..."

Any help would be appreciated. I will try and get some before pictures up tomorrow.

I'm ready to get going on this thing. I can brave the 30* garage weather.

You can definitely get 4-5 years +++++++++++++ out of properly sealed wood. I have got that much out of poorly seal floors just keep the boat covered when not in use. JMHO

+2 on what fish4fool said. I am sealing all of my wood with polyester resin then topcoated with gel-coat. It takes longer but in the long run I hope to get many years of use before the wood needs to be replaced.

As for the layout, looks good but you'll have to go with what suits you best. With regards to weight etc. as others have said play with the location of the battery or batteries - On the decks, I'm a firm believer in do it once and do it right. While aluminum decking is more costly yes, it's a one time done deal.
Wood: Done once and do again.... maybe not right away but you will do it again at some point.... also the wood is heavier and with a 14.36 and your concern with weight, I'd really think aluminum if it were me.

My two pennies.

Badbagger said:
...On the decks, I'm a firm believer in do it once and do it right. While aluminum decking is more costly yes, it's a one time done deal.
I was leaning toward wood, but that line got me. I just pulled the trigger on 50' of aluminum.
:mrgreen:
Hopefully I can get some before pics up soon. Should have the metal by this weekend.

Thanks for your opinions guys.

Well I got my aluminum in today. I'm probably not going to be able to do much with it until next weekend unfortunately. But hopefully I can get some pics up soon.

I will base my design off some of the members on here. I'll be sure to give credit once I start my build thread.

Finally got started on the boat today! This is going to be a fun project that my Dad and I can do together. That's the best part.

Got the main floor cut so I can start sealing the wood up. Got one coat on before I ran out of time.
6c48213d.jpg

This is Going to be a very slow process but my deadline is May 18, the weekend of our annual fishing trip. I'll try and post pictures along the way
c52a1aaf.jpg

Latest posts