What boat to get

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrekfishman

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this in but here it goes. I have been looking into taking an old boat and making it like new again. While researching I came across this site and I'm hooked. I want to get a 14 foot deep v or a 1448 or wider flat bottom. I was looking for some input on what to buy. I live in Michigan and fish rivers for salmon and steelhead as much as possible. I'm not too worried about hitting bottom in the rivers with the deep v. I also fish lake Huron in the les cheneaux islands where wave height is not an issue, as well as numerous other inland lakes.

My question is what boat would be the best all around boat for these situations? I want it to be stable but with room for 2 to fish on the rivers and 3 on lakes.

Thanks ahead and I really look forward to doing my first boat mod.

I am a fan of the deep V's myself and you can always put a nice flat floor in yourself. I have a 1467t Lowe and after the floor install I still have 47" across/wide of flat floor to stand on. But I live near some big water lakes and the flat bottoms are just not practical for most the lakes I fish. The higher sides on a deep V come in handy each year when the big boats come out or the weather gets rough.

I can fish 2 very comfortably and 3 is not to bad as long as your not all casting for bass lol. Even have had adult and a 3yr old in my boat crappie fishing without any problems.

Well how large are the lakes? Flat bottoms are better river runners, but deep v's tend to be better lake boats. If the bodies of water you fish or plan on fishing on have little to no waves, the flat bottom will be fine. I have heard it is a bone-jarring ride having a flat bottom on a waterway that has some decent sized waves. The bodies of water around here where I live routinely have waves 2-3ft, so I went with a v-hull. I would say if the waves are generally under 2 feet, you will be OK with a flat bottom.

Course this is all from what I have read, and I have no experience on a flat bottom--just what I've researched.

Semi V - get something from both worlds. :)

It's great for my area, cause I have a big lake, but also a river that I will be camping on the shores of...

The mod-v is a pretty good choice. A nice 1448 or 1648 mod-v is a fantastic all purpose boat. They have a mostly flat bottom that is great for rivers, and a slight V on the front which does help in choppy water. Bear in mind though, that if the water is choppy, you will get a bumpy ride. Its not horrible, but bumpy for sure. On calm water it rides smooth as glass.

The mod-v will most likely be wider and more stable than a comparable V-hull, less tippy. Mod-v boats are also fairly easy to put floors and decks in. They also tend to be made of thicker aluminum than v-hulls.

Latest posts