cleaning a tin rig

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just use dawn dish soap and a scotchbrite pad with some elbow grease. Gets 90% or more off, I don't wash mine after every trip, just 2 or 3 times/yr.

I've been trying my pressure washer and every type of degreaser and soap I could get my hands on. I even tried some commercial grade cleaners on this reverse bath tub ring.

DSC00188.jpg

The other day I was using some Alumabrite to clean the hull of my project boat and decided to see what it would do with the ring on my other boat. I went around the entire boat in less than 10 minutes with the garden hose and a rag soaked in Alumabrite. I only rubbed it on the ring as a quick test, but plan to do the entire hull later on. I used a heavy rubber glove (don't want this stuff on your hands) and only rubbed a 3' section at a time and then did a quick rinse of that area. It took this stuff off in a mater of seconds while rubbing on it. Here's the results.

511bf7bd.jpg

That's what I used to clean my hull,it works. Be sure to rinse everything off well with water to dilute that acid down.

If you have that white calcium buildup on your motor and lower unit try using the toilet bowl cleaner "the Works". I just used that on my honda tonight. Squirted it right out of the bottle,and let it run down the lower unit. It foamed up all the way down taking the calcium with it. It just melted off like it was sugar. Rinsed everything down good,and the paint looks like new.

I wouldn't try any of this on a nice concrete driveway. It will etch it.

google aluminum cleaner, i beleive its called gordos or gordons. this stuff will make it shine like new with the least amount of effort of anything ive ever seen. it also puts a protective coat on it that will last a few years even if you keep your boat at a marina and 3 times longer if you trailer it home after every trip. watch the video they have, this stuff is amazing!!!! cant remember if i seen it on here or on a search with google but either way you should find it easy.....i used it last spring andf my boat gets in dirty silty water 4-5 times a week and it still looks like i cleaned it today..

Latest posts