Best way to plug a livewell outlet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol sarge

Reaction score
My new to me boat (1984 Smoker Craft 14 foot Big Fisherman) came with a gravity fed live well that fed from the bottom of the livewell via a plastic tube which went under the floor and exited out of the boat through an opening in the bottom of the transom. During my refurbishing of the boat, I decided not to use the livewell and to use it as storage space instead. My question is now, what do I do with the thru hull connection that I now longer need? Should I just cork it or seal it with something? I just want to make sure that this does not turn into a leak source. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

stick a transome drain plug in the hole, like the one you use to drain the water out of the hull in back of the boat, they make several diffrent sizes and they can be removed anytime ya want and seal up great, I use them in my livewells also

switch it out with a thru hull fitting with a screw in sealed cap. ive seen brass ones online and at my local boat supply store for around 10 bucks.seal it,tighten and forget it. they seal flush to the fitting.

Filled mine with that spray stuff I think it is called Great Stuff spray foam.
Filled up the tube in the live well (I don't use it) and now I just use it for storage.

Tried to do the same thing with the livewell on my boat. Regular size bilge plug did not fit, went to cabelas, they had some smaller ones, came 2 to a package. Bought them, $10 and they dont fit either. Went to the local ACE, they had bilge plugs of a few different sizes and none of them fit either. I may just stick a cork from my brandy bottle in it. That livewell port is a concern because if the hose or pump breaks (fails), you have a below waterline opening straight into the boat. That could be bad, especially if noone is around.
Tim

Depending on the size of the hole (I am not sure the diameter?) how about a bolt with a rubber washer on the inside and outside, then a lock nut on the inside to keep it from comming loose? I used this type of set up to plug the holes from the previous owners fish finer transducer that he kept when I bought the boat. Just make sure you buy a stainless steel bolt and nut so it won't rust on you.

Latest posts