Anchor location

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 7806

Reaction score
The anchor in the boat I just bought is tied off the right rear handle and sits in the real well in front ot the transom. As I remember being on other peoples boats the anchor was on the front.

Does it make any differece where the anchor is?

You want to be anchored with the bow into the waves. Other wise you could end up taking waves over the stern.

2 anchors ,1 bow and 1 stern are useful if you float fish or chronimid flyfish. they keep you from swinging around in circles in the wind.

You should never anchor from the stern. The exception to the rule being if you have an anchor set from the bow, and you want to keep the stern from swinging around, like when fishing over structure. I use 2 anchors when I fish for sheepshead at the jetties. However, keep the stern anchor on some kind of heavy duty snap, where you can detach it in a hurry if need be, or keep a knife handy to cut the rope if you get into trouble.

Also, because I fish around rocks and I'm using danforth anchors which dig in and hold position, I use a small fender float on my stern anchor line, so I can detach it, pull forward and break the bow anchor loose, then come back around and pick up the stern anchor.

I'm tied to the bow with poly line (floats).

If you have to cut it, you can find your anchor later. If it's shorter then the water depth, a "little swim" will reveal a long yellow line floating just below the surface and you can still recover your anchor.

I've never worried about swinging around.

but if I were I'd use a stern anchor with a bow anchor.

The quick snap is a good idea....you never want wave action on the stern....good way to swamp a small boat.

Also, it makes your carpet wet.

;)

great white said:
The quick snap is a good idea....you never want wave action on the stern....good way to swamp a small boat.

Right, but be sure to use a REAL snap, not one of those cheap pot metal POS snaps.

Use a stainless steel carabiner-type snap, these are rated for loads, the cheap POS snaps are not rated for any kind of load. If you subject one of those cheap ones to a sudden heavy load, it will live up to its name "snap"

Just be very wary about your situation no matter which end of the boat you anchor from.

I've had anxious moments in choppy water while being anchored at either end.

Ditto on the knife. Make sure it's very handy. I had to cut an anchor line on the stern when I started taking water due to high wind swells and the anchor was stuck.

Seems my thinking was right the anchor is in the wrong place. Thanks for all the advice, I do like the idea of anchoring both ends at times, makes sense.

I will be moving the anchor ot the stern and plan on getting a stainless steel carabiner-type snap to connect it with, I also like idea of using floating water sking rope too.

Thanks for all the advice

Latest posts