Going to be painting soon ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffrey.bean

Reaction score
Been reading up on painting a Jon, looks like they recommended self etching primer on bare aluminum. I have a few spots that the paint has come off ( mainly where i stand at the helm) but most of the boat is in pretty good shape. Should I hit the bare alum spots with the SE primer and just rough up the painted areas with 80 grit?

Thanks...

You don't really need to sand the existing paint, you just need to CLEAN it. Use a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water and go over it a couple times. Then immediately before you paint, wipe it down with mineral spirits.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk

IMHO - you really do not need to paint at all - i would use that time, money and effort towards fishing

It is a jon boat and no matter how pretty you make it look. . . .

I always prefer a light sand over anything I am painting...the manufacturers recommend it between every coat...

Thanks for the replys guys, I'll give it a lite sanding then wiped own with vinager and spirits.

Capt Ahab, this is my big water duck hunting rig, camo paint jobs look cool :LOL2:

I just spent this weekend (~8.5hrs) sanding the interior (outside is not painted, TG) paint on my 1988 Kalmath 18' bay runner. My next step will be to wipe it down with acetone and apply a self etching primer prior to the top coat. :arrow:

Yes I could have painted the boat before prepping it, but I was amazed by the level of oxidized paint that I removed. I used 100<>150 grit sand paper, and finished up the recessed areas with "brown" Scotch type sanding pad.

Not sure how/method I will apply the finished top coat :idea:

Latest posts