Just bought my first Jon Boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jt7257

Reaction score
Picked up a Jon Boat on trailer with 5hp Briggs OB. I am pretty excited to get working on it. Motor is solid as is the trailer. The boat needs some help. First being the transom. It is completely rotten. The forst of many questions I have is do I need to seal the transom once i get a new one built?

jt7257 said:
Picked up a Jon Boat on trailer with 5hp Briggs OB. I am pretty excited to get working on it. Motor is solid as is the trailer. The boat needs some help. First being the transom. It is completely rotten. The forst of many questions I have is do I need to seal the transom once i get a new one built?

Welcome to the boards and congrats on the new boat! :mrgreen:

To answer your first of many questions, yes... any wood that is going on your boat will need to have a sealer of some sort applied to it. DO NOT use pressure treated, it will cause a reaction with the metal in the boat and corrode your boat.

Seal with epoxy or SPAR urethane after you get it cut out and all the holes drilled (slightly oversize) and allow the sealant of choice to coat the interiors of the holes too. Here's mine, epoxy coated... I used exterior grade 3/4" plywood, 2 layers glued with Titebond III waterproof glue:

Attachments

• New transom.jpg
    New transom.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 269