Terry Bass Pro 25

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish Dave

Reaction score
Hi all. A few days ago I bought what I thought was a raggedy old 14' jon boat on a very nice trailer. To be honest, all I wanted was the trailer for the stitch and glue boat I'm building with my 10 year old. The seller said it was both or nothing, so I dragged them home.

I haven't found much information online about Terry in general or this model boat, except that it was built as a bass boat not a jon. Right now it's in pretty sad shape. It has been stripped down to the ribs with just some rotten plywood on the front and rear decks. Judging from the water stains, it has spent a lot of it's recent life half submerged in someone's pond. I haven't inspected it closely, but I have found a number of pinholes in the bottom of the hull with the largest being around 1/8" diameter.

My first inclination was to sell it for scrap. Despite the plywood jon I'm knocking together with the boy, my knowledge of boats wouldn't fill a thimble. But the more I look at it, the more I like the lines. I would rather repair it and see it back in service if possible. It's welded construction, and seems sturdy enough except for those pesky pinholes.

I guess what I'm looking for here is some direction on how to asses any damage I haven't found yet, and potential methods for repair. And of course a little encouragement.

Thanks, Dave

Hey Catfish Dave.....

First, and foremost, welcome to the TinBoats family. You can find answers to anything related to tin boats here.

Like it has already been posted....please post some pictures. You'll be sure to get answers once we see what we're talking about.

Haha! No, I had tried to buy that same boat from him last week. He found that it had some holes in it and was willing to let it go fairly cheap. Well, long story short I told him about this website and my plans for the boat. Pretty much i thought i had talked him out of selling it and he was going to repair it. Small world... Hey good luck with your build man! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with her... :LOL2:

I'll have some pics up this weekend. Those long work days tend to impede me from doing the stuff that is really important, know what I mean? I want to powerwash it so when I do take pictures, y'all can see more than just crud.

JPH79, it's a small world, isn't it?

By the way, thanks for the welcome everyone. I think I'm going to like this place.

Didn't mean to lie to anyone, fate took things out of my hands. I have an uncle that lives in Marysville, IN that has a machine shop and does a lot of fab work with aluminum. I figured he'd be a great resource for patching the boat up, so I took it down to him. Not three days later a tornado hit town. He lost his pole barn and all its contents, which unfortunately included my boat and trailer. It ended up almost 1/4 mile away, all beat up with a hole in the bottom large enough to drop a basketball through. So that's the end of that.

Still a sucker for ugly old boats, I now have a 1436 Ouachita jon that has seen its fair share of stumps. It came with a 12 h.p. outboard, also a '58, and a trolling motor.

:WELCOME: Hope everyone is OK, down there. Were You able to even salvage the trailer You wanted in the first place? Glad to hear You've taken on another orphan. It'll be great for You & Your son to work on this one too =D>

Latest posts