Keel guard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to put a keel guard on my boat and before I spend the money for it I thought I'd ask you guys to see if it work for me and if any of you have keel guard on your aluminum boats. My main concern is if the 3m adhesive will stick to my aluminum v hull as good as it will a fiberglass boat. Thanks for any input

I have one on my jetboat, and on my 16 foot Triton. Both are aluminum hull boats. Haven't had any issues so far with the keel guard coming loose. But, for added strength, I did run a bead of 5200 all the way around the edges of the keel guard.

Also, the keel guard is supposed to be warrantied from peeling loose, etc, so, if you do have any issues, they should stand behind the product.

I have a 5 footer on my 1648 Weldbilt. Love it. Takes the worry out of the occasional rock or hard bump up to a ramp. I did like the above poster and ran a bead of 5200 around the perimeter. I can tell you though, spend the time to prep the surface right, and make sure it is clean, and the thing is STUCK. I can't imagine mine peeling off. Well worth the time and money IMO.

Right, surface prep is VERY important. After sanding, wipe down the surface with acetone, do not use solvents such as paint thinner, as they leave oily residue that can interfere with proper adhesion.

Supplied with the keel guard is an adhesion promoter that works in conjunction with the pressure-sensitive 3M adhesive on the keel guard. This adhesion promoter is in an applicator vial, you activate it by breaking the glass ampule, then wetting the applicator tip. Follow the directions closely for this.

Also, if you have a heat gun, that will come in very useful for warming up the keel guard to make it more flexible, and the heat also makes the adhesive kick better.

Use the burnishing tool supplied (looks like a paint scraper made from plastic), and work small areas at a time, making sure to run down in the grooves with the tip of the tool, applying a good bit of pressure... this guarantees full contact adhesion.

Latest posts