putting in a floor and/or deck question...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikeordie092

Reaction score
i know all the framing aspects of this, but i do have one question however.... when you put in a floor/deck, how does one secure it to the boat??? so that if you were to stand on one side of it the other wouldnt just slip up?

It depends. For plywood or slat floors, use some self-tapping hex head stainless screws. For a floor made of aluminum sheeting, use rivets. In either case, secure the floor to the ribs of the boat.

The floor in my boat is just sitting on the ribs. I haven't had a problem with it moving while using the boat or when towing.

Attach the frame for your decking to the ribs on the bottom of the boat, then attach your flooring to the frame. Measure the depth of the framing and the height of the ribs, and make sure you allow for the fact that your screws may pull into the framing. You can pre-drill the holes, just mark your drill bit with a piece of tape to make sure you don't drill through the bottom of the hull.

Ok, I think I get the floor, but I'm also going to put a deck on the front which will be higher than a floor, how do u secure the deck on a v hull?

bikeordie092 said:
Ok, I think I get the floor, but I'm also going to put a deck on the front which will be higher than a floor, how do u secure the deck on a v hull?

Build bracing (kind of like scaffolding) that attaches to the sides (use screws/bolts if above water line) and to the ribs on the floor (use self taping screws or rivits). Once the bracing is built, just attach the decking using screws.

for a great example, look at page 2 of Benjineer's Lund build:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15212&start=15

Latest posts