Custom Pedestal Seat/Storage

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkeezGrizz

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I have been browsing this forum for a few months looking at all of the different projects. Some very solid work by all of you. I have a 1232 Voyager Flat Bottom. Wanted to add a pedestal seat without going through the addition of a full deck. The idea was to build a box in front of my front bench seat and reinforce it to withstand the pressure of leaning during use. I never sit when I fish, so I wanted the extra height. You'll see the center compartment is the housing for the seat base. The base is attached with 6 T-Nuts and brass machine screws. The pedestal will run through the center for support. The side hatches will be used for lure box storage and possibly a battery housing for the trolling motor. Here is what I have done so far.

The Boat
IMG_0335.JPG

The Box Design
photo.JPG

photo%25281%2529.JPG

The Hatches and Center Panel
photo%25284%2529.JPG

T-Nuts to hold the seat base
photo%25282%2529.JPG

I am using a rubberized spray sealant for water proofing. this is after the first pass...left most of the inside for round two.
photo%25283%2529.JPG

Your thoughts are most welcome!

-Sean

Welcome to the site. How long is the pedestal you're putting in? How far does it extend out of the box?

Brine said:
Welcome to the site. How long is the pedestal you're putting in? How far does it extend out of the box?

Thanks. The pedestal is 24". With the base, seat, and seat mount, it comes up to around 32-33". The box "mount" for it is flush with the top of the front bench seat which is right around 14". My intention with mounting the base as close to the hull as possible, was to create the most amount of stability when leaning against it. I am around 190lbs so the leverage I can exert on the base was a concern. The side storage boxes are of perfect size for a battery on one side, and 5 Plano boxes on the other.

-Sean

So I finally had some nice weather and was able to get the final coat on my pedestal box. Got the hatches mostly coated as well. Once they are finished I can add the hinges and mount it all up.

Does anyone have any specific advice on handles/straps for the storage hatches? My original plan was to use pieces of nylon strap for quick access. To secure the hatch lids so they don't bang around, I plan to use these magnetic catches:

https://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5y...ngId=-1&keyword=cabinet magnets&storeId=10051

Here are some pics.

The Swivel Seat
photo%2520%25282%2529.JPG

The Rubberized Sealant
photo%2520%25281%2529.JPG

photo%2520%25283%2529.JPG

photo.JPG

Latest posts