Applying Hull ID #'s/Letters

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

De Hoog

Reaction score
Didn't find anything in the search function. I've been researching the application of new vinyl numbers/letters for the hull ID. I've read adding a few drops of dishwashing soap in water before you apply the numbers assists in getting them slide around a bit for adjusting in order to get them straight. Then "squeegee" the letters to get the water/soap mixture out.

Anyone ever done this or have tips? I'm WAY to OCD to have crooked letters/numbers. The fish might laugh at me.

I have done it with the soapy water but not with boat numbers. I just put new ones on my boat and applied them dry with a squeege that I got from my sign guy. I measured down from the ridge on my hull and made a mark did this in several places. I then took a piece of masking tape and applied it lining it up with the marks. The top of the tape became my straight line. I then put a second piece on the top a 1/2" or so above where the top of the letters would be.

My Id is Mo xxxx BY my old letters looked like ones from the hardware store as they were white squares with letters/numbers printed on them. So even after removal I could see where they had been. I found the center of where the xxxx was an struck a center line. I then put the 2 center numbers about 1/8" to each side of center. I then use the distance between those to letters to space the others. I used a pencil to draw lines then just earsed them when I was finished. I think mine came out pretty good.

I got them lined up and straight then held the top and used the squeege to press them in place. After removing the tape I went over then again this time from top to bottom.

Make sure you wash your hand with soap and water before you start applying your letters. I washed mine just before I started, but after I had done all the lay out work.

Like Gramps, I just used some masking tape to lay out a line to place the bottom edge of the letters on and I drew lines on the tape for letter spacing. I didn't like the background so I used and xacto knife and carefully cut all the letters/numbers out before I applied them. A buddy that owns a body shop taught me some time ago the trick to putting letters or stripes on but he only uses a spray bottle with plain water, no soap, and just mist the surface good before he puts the stickers on. The only letters I could find were black letters on a white background.

The technique of applying soapy water is used when applying tint to windows. Never thought of using that method to install vinyl letters or graphics, but I guess it would be the same principle.

The one I took off were black letters with a white background. The replacements I bought are already cut out. Got them at Cabela's boat lettering I went with the black/silver. They had some other cool ones but didn't figure they would show well on my OD tin. They also had back and white.

Thanks for the info fellas. I'm taking off block style cut-out letters and replacing them with rounded cut-out letters. That's why I'm looking for a way to be able to adjust them slightly during application. I know I can get them level horizontally, I just want to make sure I can get them straight vertically...being they're rounded letters.

Latest posts