A few questions for an Alumacraft 14'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven148

Reaction score
This website is a wonderful place, full of great information and ideas. Although, I am having trouble finding the answer to a few questions. I recently picked up an Academy special (14' Alumacraft w/ 5 HP Mercury) and am having a few issues. Any help is greatly appreciated....

1) The engine makes the whole boat vibrate, which turns out to be really annoying after a while. Is there any way to fix this problem? I thought about putting a small piece of wood in between the transom and motor to see if it would help, but I was worried about the motor flying off due to it not being attached directly to the boat, or the motor just sliding around.

2) I am looking for a stainless steel prop because I frequent low level rivers, and on my old boat, I went through too many aluminum props before finally getting a S.S. one. I do not have an owners manual and am trying to find out the pitch and size of prop to get. The closest boat shop is about an hour from me, so I thought this place would be a little easier to find out the info. (Mercury 5 HP)

3) While transporting the boat, is it better to keep the engine up or down? I will be getting a transom saver in the next few weeks so this question will be answered either way as soon as I purchase one, but I am still curious.

4) I really use my boat to get me to "hard to get to" type places for camping. So, I usually go great distances to get there. Last weekend I took my friend out for an overnighter and the river we chose was flooded and moving pretty fast. The 5 HP had no problem taking myself and gear up the river, but as soon as my 265lb friend got in, we were moving at walking speed or less. My boat is rated for a 10 HP engine but am curious if it would even be worth it. Is 5 more HP that big of a difference? The cost for one is insane and I want to make sure it would be worth the cash.

Sorry for the questions but I am having trouble finding any answers. I really appreciate any help you can spare. This is my first small boat and want to do it right. I had a 16' Alumacraft MVTex Special a few years ago (which I wish I didn't sell) but this boat is quite a bit smaller without all of the bells and whistles.

Thanks!

2)is it all the time or just underway? might try some innertube between motor and boat.

3) i travel with mine down. to me up seems like a having a giant monkey wrench torquing on my transom.

you could pick up a johnson 9.9 off CL to try. if you like it. sell your five. if you do if you like it.you could get your money back no problem.

200racing said:
2)is it all the time or just underway? might try some innertube between motor and boat.

3) i travel with mine down. to me up seems like a having a giant monkey wrench torquing on my transom.

you could pick up a johnson 9.9 off CL to try. if you like it. sell your five. if you do if you like it.you could get your money back no problem.

Thanks for the advice.

The vibrating really doesn't happen at idle, but when underway, it almost gets unbearable. The engine runs great, it just vibrates the heck out of the boat. I also wondered if it might have to do with the engine not being perfectly in the middle of the transom? I put it on by eye, no measuring or anything.

I also drive with it down. You are spot on.... It does seem like a monkey wrench which is about to rip off my transom. It just bounces around and thought maybe that was worse for it. I can't seem to get it to lock in the down position.

I have thought about trying a 9.9 HP off of CL. Might just have to pull the trigger once I find a good deal.

Thanks again!