15ft canoe or 1436 jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diabetik11

Reaction score
i am thinking of getting either one of these, the canoe is a 15ft alumacraft with a square end for a motor and the boat is a 1436 princecraft jon has a live well in middle seat rated for a 20hp motor.
the canoe is $350 and the boat is boat motor trailer combo for a$1000 20hp motor.
i will mainly be fishing a river maybe an occasional lake.
one main question i have is can you stand up and cast from a 1436 jon boat?

I think you can learn to stand up in pretty much anything. :)...that is not a guarantee or meant for all body types. ;)

I would personally say its a no brainer - go for the Jon. I am not a fan of canoes at all.

I have a canoe and a jon and I say get the jon!! You will not be dissapointed.

The canoe has its place, but the jon is way more versatile and you will wish you had bought it instead. I have an Alumacraft 14' and I can walk around in it with no problem. It is a little tippy but nothing like a canoe. Last weekend myself and a 265lb friend went fishing and had no problems except for the 5 HP pushing us was not adequate for the weight in the boat. We were moving, just slow.

Good luck in your search!

I would agree with the popular vote and say go with the jon. I also have a canoe and while I love it for fishing solo and convenience, I feel way more stable fishing from a jon boat, especially a 14' jon. I have one of those too and fishing from that thing is awesome standing or sitting. If you're looking for something that is light and you don't want to worry about hooking up to a trailer or you're a last minute fisherman, a canoe might be better. But for anything else I would shoot for the jon.

And if money isn't a huge issue, maybe you could get both :p

cmatthews_jm said:
And if money isn't a huge issue, maybe you could get both :p

X2

I'm also keeping on eye out for a decent square stern canoe. The backwoods boat ramps at some of the rivers can be a challenge for a 2WD car!

Latest posts