Stump Jumper

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjineer

Reaction score
Anybody ever make a rail or something applied to the bottom of the boat to ward off stumps? I've seen products that attach to the outboard, but they don't have a lot of angle, so you still would get a big shock. I was thinking of a fin or somthing just forward of the motor that has a gradual angle to raise the boat up over the stump or maybe a horizontal version that would gradually shift the boat right or left. I do a lot of fishing in a shallow lake full of stumps that are just under the surface. You have to slow down to a crawl if not in the channel, and there's a lot of acreage to cover to get to the best spots. I was thinking about a couple of pieces of aluminum angle attached to the center strake near the middle of the boat and spread out as they go back. I realize some performance would be compromised, and I run the risk of getting stuck in a really shallow spot.

I have been thinking about this..not sure how it could be done and not starve the motor for water....or make the boat just a horrible performer....

JasonLester said:
I have been thinking about this..not sure how it could be done and not starve the motor for water....or make the boat just a horrible performer....

I'm thinking a single fin like on a surfboard or ski would keep water to the motor. That would only offer protection from a direct hit. Besides, I worry about that cutting/wedging into a stump and then I'm stuck. I think I'd want it removable when I'm not fishing the lake. In that boat, I fish the lake in the summer and the salt in the winter. I use a different boat for the salt in the summer.

The bad thing about attaching to the boat is there is no break-away action like with the motor. If there's not a gradual ramp to it I might end up with a hole in my boat.

I don't really have time to build something like that. I'm not talkin' bout a jet pump on an outboard. You can still crash that into a stump.

benjineer said:
I don't really have time to build something like that. I'm not talkin' bout a jet pump on an outboard. You can still crash that into a stump.
Not if it's 2" under the water. :lol: :mrgreen:

Lil' Blue Rude said:
benjineer said:
Not if it's 2" under the water. :lol: :mrgreen:

Thanks. Obviously, I know nothing about them.

Here's a vid to watch. Put a jet on amd don't lockthe motor down and you can go any where. :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9iXL-omjkA

I fish a stumpy lake too. Same situation. Either hit them or stay in the boat trails and pray. Either way, idle speed is usually too fast. Jet helps but even when running on plane in stumpy waters, you're going to hit one or two. It's just a given in lakes like this. Everyone hits stumps unless you know where they're at. It sucks but it's just part of it.

One thing that I found out by fishing with a buddy in his airboat is that the plastic liner on the bottom of his boat glides over those stumps with ease. A LOT better than my lightweight aluminum jon boat does. Makes me wonder if it wouldn't be worthwhile to somehow get some of that polymer stuff on the bottom of boats like ours.

Latest posts