got a leak,help..... and 3m 4200 for though hull fittings???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

200racing

Reaction score
went out on the water sat. and sunday. the boat was taking water in some where.

in my head i come up with a check/fix list

1] poor seal around plug
the new livewell pump is bigger than the old making putting the plug in a good bit harder.the plug was the push and flip type so i put it on the inside. i bought a new T type so i can do it on the outside to issure a good seal.

2] wrong product used
after hearing how everyone trust 3m products
i used 4200 on a though hull fitting when i installed my new livewell pump and put it on all the hose connetions i messed with.i chose 4200 since it said it while tough it could be removed, and i didnt want to forever attach my LW pump since i dont trust cheap plastic. i went to get another tube at academy yesterday. payed a little closer attention to the label and it did not mention metal/ALU.
so could the one spot i used it be leaking?

3]there is 3 other oem through hull fittings i didnt touch. they are 10 years old now. if 4200 is a no-no what should i reseal them with?

4] i cant rembember hitting anything but i guess i need to check the hull.

5] some of the livewell plumbing fitting i didnt touch could be leaking after i reseal the fitting i may plug them all to prevent water from getting to them and see if there is still a leak if it is wouldnt that signal a hull leak?

thanks for reading and any help.

3m 4200 and 5200 can be used on metal, despite the fact they leave it off their labels.

5200 doesn't include it on their list either.

However, typically 5200 is the one recommended for thru-hull fittings, I believe,

Since you've been futzing with the livewell system I suspect that is where your leak is.

Do as PSG suggests by filling the bilge while the boat is on the trailer and look for leaks on the outside of the hull. If no leaks it's probably your livewell plumbing.

i had my folks me both days. since my mom is scared of her shaddow i couldnt go into leak hunter mode.
i would just flip the bilge on while i was getting on plane and drain it out secretly 8).

to today i went out looking for evidence and found the carpet was wet in the corner of my rod looker right by 1 of the fittings. [-o< im going to reseal it and see if that was it [-o<. from my yard i can have my boat in a lake in 10 minutes so friday i hope to go check the leak and :fishing: a little. i think i will step up to 5200 for the fitting since they cant short out for no reason like a made in china pump.

i know filling it with water is a good tool for leaks; but with LW pumps sitting 1' off the bottom of the hull my bilge pump and all the foam laying on the hull. the fitting is off the bottom 6''+. it would be well over those things and huge load in boat and on trailer before it started leaking there..i really consider it the last resort.

Latest posts