Switch Panel Wiring?!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynimiller

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm just now getting my butt in gear on a 14 foot Starcraft conversion project....I'll be posting in the "conversion spot" just as soon as I figure out a laid out plan and actually start ripping into it.

This thread however is simply on wiring a switch panel? I have absolutely no clue on how to do this (hooked up many a stereo but the directions were so easy a 3 year old could have done it), but want to learn how and have begun pouring into threads here and videos on youtube and any blog or webpage that claims to explain it.

1. Is it as easy as buying a ready to use swtich panel, like https://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/SCP/SCP12501.html (not looking at this particular model but you get the idea) and connecting the wires to their chosen switch locations?

2. Also here's what all I "plan" on having on my conversion project that would need electrical power:

-trolling motor
-lights at both the tip and the rear
-misc. lighting for night time fishing and visibility on the boat
-fish finder
-possibly a livewell aerator

*Could one battery do all this, or would you recommend 2?

3. I've about wiring a grounding spot, needed or no? If so please give me the basics or link that would if you know of one?

All of this I realize may be covered in a thread I've missed so far or seem simple to some, but hey I figured worst case scenario is I get some flack but get my questions answered along the way.

FYI love this site and just now joined, first post!

Welcome! One deep cycle battery will do the job I think. Don't ground to the hull if that's what you're talking about. It can cause corrosion. Just run a hot wire and a ground wire to everything. It is nice to have a ground bus of some sort. Otherwise you have a pile of ground wires to crimp together or daisy chain, etc. Everything but the trolling motor can go through the switch panel. I don't have a switch for my depth finders, since you can turn them off and/or unplug them. Wiring is easy but time consuming when crimping on a million terminals, etc. It's good to have everything on a fuse. Some switch panels have them built in. Some things like depth finders come with inline fuse holders.

Latest posts