Best place to order Aluminum angle from?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobcat_fisherman

Reaction score
I'm sure some of you have ordered Aluminum angle online. It's much cheaper than buying it from Home Depot. Where was the cheapest you found it? Did it come pretty quick? And were there any shipping issues do to the size? I'm thinking about ordering a couple of 8ft pieces of 1.5inX1.5inX1/8in aluminum.

Thanks for the info.

I think you are going to find that it's going to be pretty expensive ordering it online. UPS and FE have length restrictions that command a pretty hefty surcharge if you go over. Also, look for the shipping charges to be more because the vendor is going to have to package it pretty stout to keep it from bending. HD may be your best bet if you can live with 1/8" stuff. That's all they have. Otherwise you might want to start looking for a metal supplier close to you.

Will 1/8in be enough to build a deck? I'm going to build one from my middle bench going forward. I'll leave the middle and front bench in for support. How far apart can I run 1/8in angle before it will get weak?

camo_boat_interior.jpg

It depends on what you are using for decking, how many perpendicular supports you have, and how much "give" you are comfortable with.

3/4" plywood is pretty stout stuff and and can span gaps up to 24". But its heavy and will eventually rot and sag.

Aluminum is lighter, but the thinner stuff (around 0.06" to .08") really is only good for gaps up to 12". Heavier aluminum sheet like 1/8" (.125") will span gaps similar to plywood.

As always, your mileage will vary depending on lots of stuff.

It usually works best to run a few main braces first and then fill in with cross braces as needed. Always lean toward putting in more bracing than less. Its pretty cheap and easy, and having a good solid deck or floor is really really nice!

dkuster said:
I got mine from here:

https://www.metalsdepot.com/

That's a neat site. They have a huge selection and the prices I looked at for aluminum angle and sheet looked pretty good. Unfortunately, the shipping cost for aluminum sheet and angle is almost as much as the cost of the metal. For example, a 4x10 sheet of .063 is around $140 plus another $120 for shipping. An 8' section of angle was $25 and shipping was another $25.

Not everyone has a local metal distributor in their town, but I bet there is one within a 90 minute drive. It might be worth it to make the trip.

There is a place (https://www.steelliq.com/steel.html) about an hour from my house that has fantastic prices on aluminum. I can get a 4x8 sheet of .125" 5052 aluminum for $114. Its in Delaware so there is no sales tax. I just make a big list of what I need, save my pennies, then head down on a Saturday morning and stock up.

How set are you on using aluminum angle? Last spring when I started my build I compared prices at Home Depot and Lowes.... and online a few places and the price was way out of my budget for what I needed ( a couple hundred bucks). So I turned to where I usually turn when I don't know something about boats.....here of course and found that a few guys found aluminum angle and square tubing at local salvage/surplus yards. I did some research and found one a little over an hour from my house. I called to see if they carried aluminum stock (angle, tubing,...etc) and the guy said they had aluminum but their inventory changes daily since it was a surplus/scrap yard.

The place was basically a junk yard of surplus material with all types of metals organized according to type. I had a rough idea of what I wanted but I was flexible. They had all types of aluminum ( angle, U channel, small I beams, diamond plate, square tubing, round tubing,...etc.) I spent over 2 hours sorting and picking what I wanted and what I thought I could use. It was sold in linear pieces like a warehouse store and they would cut it to whatever length you needed. Especially if you had to fit it in a car or the back of a truck. Some pieces were over 12ft long.

I tell you all this because the best part was that the aluminum was sold by the pound. I spend around $80 for all of the aluminum material I needed for my build and I think it turned out great. It was a fraction of the money I would have spent at a warehouse store or online after shipping. The only drawback was that it was a little cold outside the day I had to pick the materials as opposed to a warm store or my living room on the laptop. I would do a search of junk yards or scrap yards in your area to see if there is a place like this since I think it could save you a ton of money. Just make sure they have aluminum and sell it by the pound.

i got the wife to piggyback my order on to one of her work orders.free delivery and dirt cheap. also included the rivets and ss bolts and hardware.everything i needed in one shot. :D

i used 1.5x1.5x1/8 for my decks. i think my longest span is around 20''.you feel zero flex.
while building it i had a 30'' span and i could feel he sag in it.

I have looked at so many builds I am dizzy. I have a 14' Lund and want everything that I have read about,decks,bilge,live wells. Where to begin?

I just ordered about 70ft of 1.5x1.5 " .125 from onlinemetals.com and only about $22.00 for shipping, was gonna get the sheeting too but the shipping for the big oversized stuff was rediculous! I'd reccommend finding something local for sheeting/plate, I put a wanted add in CL and had a reply in 2 days, gonna give him a call today for pricing.

i walked by the scrap metal bins at work a little while back,2 sheets of .125 aluminum 6'x6' sittingt there.came back with my truck 20 mins. later ...gone.sad part is, someone took it to sell for scrap. :evil: it was gonna be my next winter project. lose a few pounds of weight converting plywood to sheet alum.

Those are all great tips. Thanks for the info. I live in Houston which is a very industrial city. I'm sure there's a scrap yard here I could call. I read on another forum post that someone used an old road sign to make their deck. That would be awesome but I have no idea where to find those big metal exit signs.

it's steel but they have ones that are painted too. i just used the plain ones. I havent had any problems with mine. i dont think you would either!! I've been working on my boat this winter and have left pieces of them in the snow and they dont rust or anything! they are a great alternative to expensive aluminum!!

THe problem isn't sitting on their own and rusting - it is the chemical reaction that takes place when you put it in contact with aluminum. If it is touching your aluminum you will have to deal with corrosion inevitably.

It is called "galvanic reaction" and occurs when dissimilar metals are placed in contact - steel and aluminum do not mix

I've had great luck at scrap yards. At a dollar per pound it can't be beat! A $27 piece of aluminum angle at Lowes or Menards cost about $4 where i go. I just got 7 pieces of aluminum diamond plate 48"x30" for just under $60. Yesterday at Lowes while i was picking up other materials for my boat, I happened to see the price of their diamond plate. Good Lord! for what I give today I could have only got 2 tiny 24x24 pieces. Look around your area, some scrap yards only collect and do not sell. If you find one that does you can't really take their word as to what they have, ya gotta get out there and pick around! Best of luck to you!