Semi-V Bottom Conversion Project Question Thread...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynimiller

Reaction score
Okay, once I get a laid out plan I'll be sure to start a full project thread and have routine updates with photos...however I have some questions first and thought I'd approach that with this thread.

Yesterday I pretty much got a my electrical question on rocker switch panels (sure I'll have some when I get to the installation point)...but got some more.

FIRST What to use for decking. I was extremely intimidated by the whole aluminum framing as opposed to using wood, but I've begun to realize as long as I ask ya'll enough questions and take my time (our time, father will be assisting as it's our boat) I should be fine. First of all I don't like the idea of the angle type ally...I'd rather use some square tubing style. Am I wrong to think this would be just as easy if not easier? I know the weight of the square will use more than the angled but I don't care...still lighter than wood. I can simply attach these square tubes to the ribs of the boat with brackets correct? (it appears this way from what I've gained from countless build threads)

SECOND Steelflex is the plan, unless others have a better idea. Originally I wanted to use wood and just paint the boat to save money, but decided if I'm going to do this conversion I want to do it right once and make it last. When ordering Steelflex for my 14 foot Starcraft ally a gallon of it would do right? I realize I'd also have to order some color to mix in (prolly going gray). Also when applying if I get some propane heaters cranking on it in the garage would it be hot enough to apply this stuff, I've read numerous times the hotter it is the better as instead of tar it's more like spreading honey :D ?

THIRD The boat came with a 15hp motor...should be fine right?

FOURTH AND FINAL Livewell...I've thought about putting a livewell in, but I'm not sure I want to have all the running of multiple hoses and such. As I'd really like to have a removeable livewell. Primary use would be just when pan fishing...as I have nothing against a fish sack or stringer for when bass, walleye or larger fish fishing. Any ideas or threads I missed that people rigged up their livewell so it can be taken off and put back on? (picturing like a medium size cooler with handles or something similar)

I realize I'm asking for opinions, and yes it's my build, but a lot of you know so much more than me when it comes to this stuff. Gonna absorb all the information I can!

15hp will probably do just fine.

Cooler with aerator kit from Wal-mart will probably do the job. That's what I'm using right now. All you need is a hole saw to cut holes in the cooler. Carry a bucket to fill the cooler and dump it or pull the plug when you're done. You can attach a cig lighter plug to it and hardwire an outlet in the boat where you want to put it. If you run the plug through your switch panel, you can switch it on and off.

benjineer said:
15hp will probably do just fine.

Cooler with aerator kit from Wal-mart will probably do the job. That's what I'm using right now. All you need is a hole saw to cut holes in the cooler. Carry a bucket to fill the cooler and dump it or pull the plug when you're done. You can attach a cig lighter plug to it and hardwire an outlet in the boat where you want to put it. If you run the plug through your switch panel, you can switch it on and off.

Awesome, thanks on the cooler idea...you wouldn't by chance have a pic of this would you?

No, not with me. I put it on a small cooler like a 28 quart or so that would fit behind the rear bench with the batteries. I put the outlet (bottom one where the pump is mounted) on the end of the cooler and the inlet (upper one with aerator head) on the back side as far apart as possible. The kit only came with about 2' of hose, but you could make your own or buy more hose. I'm probably going to do another one on a bigger cooler at some point. The small one is good for bait (shrimp) or a couple of bass, but might be too small to keep a limit of bass alive.

1 gallon of steelflex should cover 80-100 square feet, depending on how thick you apply it (according to Jerry at Fasco).. I figure a 14' boat that's 5' wide as 80-90 square feet of exterior hull, so you should be fine.

It's easier to put a rivet through a flat piece, I think that's why many like the angle for supports (easy to put up against an interior rib and rivet in place. A square tube should be twice as strong though, as it's basically two pieces of angle, no?

The cooler idea is great, especially if you use it mainly for bait. I don't tournament fish, so if I keep a fish, it's going on ice. I don't usually fish with live bait, either, but when I do a cooler livewell is the route I'm going. Also, it gives you plenty of time to try out and evaluate your initial layout before you start cutting away at it again for a permanent livewell.

benjineer said:
No, not with me. I put it on a small cooler like a 28 quart or so that would fit behind the rear bench with the batteries. I put the outlet (bottom one where the pump is mounted) on the end of the cooler and the inlet (upper one with aerator head) on the back side as far apart as possible. The kit only came with about 2' of hose, but you could make your own or buy more hose. I'm probably going to do another one on a bigger cooler at some point. The small one is good for bait (shrimp) or a couple of bass, but might be too small to keep a limit of bass alive.

Definitely going this route...I looked up the kits and pretty sure I can handle that :D Thanks!

MRichardson said:
1 gallon of steelflex should cover 80-100 square feet, depending on how thick you apply it (according to Jerry at Fasco).. I figure a 14' boat that's 5' wide as 80-90 square feet of exterior hull, so you should be fine.

It's easier to put a rivet through a flat piece, I think that's why many like the angle for supports (easy to put up against an interior rib and rivet in place. A square tube should be twice as strong though, as it's basically two pieces of angle, no?

The cooler idea is great, especially if you use it mainly for bait. I don't tournament fish, so if I keep a fish, it's going on ice. I don't usually fish with live bait, either, but when I do a cooler livewell is the route I'm going. Also, it gives you plenty of time to try out and evaluate your initial layout before you start cutting away at it again for a permanent livewell.

The riveting makes sense...so we'll have to decide riveting or putting brackets on....hmmm. Thanks for the heads up on that!

I am not sure what your budget is but, I found aluminum angle to be very expensive, especially from Home Depot, Lowes,...etc. I went to a building surplus/junk yard where the aluminum was sold by the pound, rather than by length. It was only a few dollars per pound. I was only able to find square tubing I didn't have a choice but I saved a ton of money. (more money for toys to put in or on the boat.) It worked fine for me (check out my build thread) the only problem I ran into was connecting the pieces together. The square pieces of tubing were difficult to connect to one another. There was no room to overlap and rivet the tubing together, so I had to buy small corner braces or brackets. I drilled through the hole and then put in a pop rivet with a rivet gun and it's holding together great.

Your 15HP should be fine. I started with a 9.5HP and it was just ok. I think the added weight of decking and flooring wouldn't allow it to plane. So I upgraded at the end of the summer to an 18HP and it works great now. I just re-painted it and fixed it up a bit.

The cooler livewell idea is your best bet. Depending on if you are using it for bait fish or tournament fishing it would allow you to remove it when not needed. There isn't as much room as you would like on these smalll boats.

What type and year is your Starcraft? I have a 71' Starcraft Seafarer myself.

i used 1.5x1.5x1/8 angle stock in my build.secured joints with 3/16 rivets it is very sturdy.

unless you have a welder i see joints with tubing being very hard to do.

200racing said:
i used 1.5x1.5x1/8 angle stock in my build.secured joints with 3/16 rivets it is very sturdy.

That's what I am worried about

200racing said:

Nah, you use the angle brackets just like you'd use to secure the tubing to the hull.

Latest posts