Mod-V Flooring: Alum over sheet foam

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyGrub

Reaction score
I am starting my jon boat project (https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24099) and 1st up after the all the existing h/w is removed and cleaned out, is installing a floor. My plan is to use sheets of closed cell foam between the cross ribs and put aluminum sheet over it. I want to make sure I have good draining underneigth. Front to back draining is accomplished with moldeded in strakes, but there is not a center strake. Even so, I plan to leave a small gap in the insolation down the middle. Since the top of the floor will retain the shallow V, rain and splash over water will run toward the center. I think its better not to have center drain through floor, and let water drain ontop toward the back of the boat. My reasoning is, that dirt, mud, sediment, will collect under the floor and start filling the water drain passages.

I'd like to hear from others that have done their floors this way. What issues you ran into, what tips, things to look out for, thanks.

The decking in all tinnies should be installed to be removable with exposed fasteners. This way you can take your decking out to make below deck repairs and to clean the bilge periodically.

I would install a thru deck drain at the back of the boat to give the water somewhere to go faster instead of having to seep through cracks which will eventually fill with dirt and debris. Thru deck drains also offer a quick view of your bilge.

jigngrub said:
The decking in all tinnies should be installed to be removable with exposed fasteners. This way you can take your decking out to make below deck repairs and to clean the bilge periodically.

I would install a thru deck drain at the back of the boat to give the water somewhere to go faster instead of having to seep through cracks which will eventually fill with dirt and debris. Thru deck drains also offer a quick view of your bilge.

Thx, I should have mentioned that the very last section, last cross rib to stearn, will not have the flooring, foam or aluminum. So the bilge wil be exposed. This is for access to bilge pump, but also to minimize issues with any small fuel slosh or leak. Foam does not like gasoline! Also, don't plan to put any between the step deck and first rib. Mainly because matching the bend of the boat would be a challenge, there.

I do plan for removable fasteners for sides and floor, but easy replacement, will esentially get elliminated when the deck and supports get placed on top of it. :(

I am interested in how thin of aluminum people have gotton away with, with this type of install. The foam makes a strong base, and looking to go 0.060" or maybe 0.040".

Go with .06. Anything smaller will be pretty flimsy and could even dent.

You drainage ideas sound pretty good to me.

MrSimon said:
Go with .06. Anything smaller will be pretty flimsy and could even dent.

You drainage ideas sound pretty good to me.

The reason I was thinking I could go down to 0.040", was that I saw some mfg used 0.050" 5052 for the hulls for 12'-14' semi-v's. Given the foam fully supports this layer, and the rubberized coating, thought I go drop down to the 0.040". I do have to check with the metal yard, if that was 5052 or 3003. Anyway, that is my rational, but still contemplating. ;)

Latest posts